10.10.2012
History Buff
History was never, ever a subject that I was interested in as a child. It seemed that every History class I had in school was beyond boring and it wasn't until I was teaching myself that things started to click. I was lucky enough to take a class of teenaged boys all the way to Washington, DC back when I worked with juvenile offenders. The trip was rather stressful as you can imagine, but we had worked so hard to learn all of the historical significance of the various sites and monuments around the city. That is no easy task.
Now that I have my own little captive audience, I love to share and learn about important historical figures. Amelia knows about Harriet Tubman, Rosa Parks, Amelia Earhart, Martin Luther King, Jr., and Helen Keller among others. History has never been more interesting to me than when I study it with her.
On this day after school, she had finished practicing her spelling words and wanted some free time to draw. When I had come back over to come on her, she proudly showed me her drawing of the 16th president, Abraham Lincoln. He was "freeing the slaves" she explained and wrote, "God gave him the courage to do that". I was so proud! It's good to know she is listening. Although, maybe I shouldn't be surprised, this is the child who drew a picture of Rosa Parks on the bus at age 4.
Here's to raising a little girl that loves history instead of hating it!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment