5.23.2011

Easy Reader

The other night while reading "Are You My Mother" to Amelia at bedtime, I realized that she could read nearly every word in the book.  She kept pointing out words she recognized, so I asked if she would like to read to me instead of me reading to her.  The result was her reading page after page of the story with very little help from me!

Then, a few days later, while snuggled in bed on a rainy afternoon, she started reading "Go, dog, go!". Again, she read nearly every word with little help from me.

I'm not sure at what point I can officially say, "Amelia is reading!" but I feel like we are very close!  She has learned all 58 kindergarten sight words that her pre-school teacher sent home mid-year.  And I am so amazed at how quickly she has picked up these words, since most of them can't be sounded out.

Lately, we've been working more on sounding out words and have checked out several Easy Readers from the library.  She does especially well with the BOB books and can read them completely independently.  I feel like I can see improvements every single day! What's even better is that she can see it too!

2 comments:

Karon said...

Do you still have the list of sight words? I would be interested in taking a look. I have been trying to work with Emily on a few sight words. Her birthday is past the cutoff so she doesn't get to start kindergarten until next year but I'd like to get a head start.

jodi said...

Yes! I have plenty of copies as her teacher sent the list home periodically with the words Amelia knew highlighted. I can send it to you or give it to you next time I see you. It isn't that different from the "dolch" pre-primary list that you can google.