1.03.2015

Charlie is ONE

Dear Charlie,

Today you are ONE! I must say, of my three children, your year has definitely gone the fastest!  And although that defies common sense and logic, it is true nonetheless. I swear it.

But as I sit back and reflect on your first year (and maybe even shed a few tears), I cannot believe just how well you have fit right into our family and how I see now that you were meant to be with us all along.  You see, when we found out that you were coming, we decided to make many quick changes that made things a bit hectic.  Big changes like a new house and a new car and plenty of small changes too.  It was kind of a stressful time around here.  It was hard for your brother and sister leaving their old friends and getting used to their new rooms. We were so busy getting everything just right for your arrival that I didn't have much time to prepare them for what was to come.  Sure we talked about you EVERY day.  We even had a name for you--Baby Herkemer. But I never talked with them about how mom and dad's time would be divided even more now and how babies are a lot of work and get a lot of attention and the like.  Sure, we signed them up for Big Sis and Big Bro classes, but there was a big snow storm and they were both canceled.  And we were out of time to reschedule, so on the job training was our only choice.

Then one night, a couple days before you were due, in the middle of a snow storm you decided it was the right time to come.  And we thought you would come fast, but you didn't.  Already paving your own way that was different than that of your siblings---early arrival, without induction, and you completely took your time once things got going.  Your labor was so laid back that we remarked more than once that we hardly had a nurse in our room the whole time!  That was also different from Amelia and Henry's arrivals.

And then you were here!  So healthy! So alert!  So loud!  And we ALL fell in love with you in an instant.  And I knew it was all going to be okay.  Oh how your siblings adore you--and while they may show it in different ways, they both love you very very much and tell you on a daily basis.  I hope you will always feel that love from them.

It has been so fun to watch you grow and take on your own personality--once again a personality that is definitely your own.  Your brother and sister are quick to jump in feet first to virtually any situation.  They are loud, sometimes wild, and very outgoing. You, on the other hand, are very much a quiet observer.  You spend a lot of time sucking on your lip and watching what is going on around you.  You constantly look to dad or I for reassurance that the chaos that is occurring is okay. You are slow to smile, even in the mornings when we first come to get you.  You make strangers work very hard to get you to smile and often you will just turn your head away from them and keep it that way.  If they really persist, you may give them another look or two, but it is rare. And we all love that about you.  We call you the most serious baby that every roamed the Earth.  I don't compare you to your siblings because one way is preferable to the other.  I compare because I want you to see that you are special and different and loved exactly the way you are.

I feel guilty that I haven't kept up with this blog as carefully as I had hoped since your birth.  I still have hopes of rectifying that.  These days I really do try and live in the moment with you all and sometimes I don't snap the pictures or jot down the stories I'd like.  And for the record, I really really hate that we all spent your first birthday rather sick.  It was a rough winter break for everyone (except you!  You were the only one who escaped getting either the actual flu, stomach flu, or both!).  Your siblings and I serenaded you on your birthday when you woke up.  They made you a special busy board that they put a lot of thought into.  Dad made you a delicious smash cake that is still sitting on the counter waiting to be smashed into when everyone is healthy.  And you were treated to a couple of great rounds of Family Ring Around the Rosey where you pretty much wore the expression I mentioned earlier--glancing at dad for reassurance.

You are such an awesome little boy.  Taking many steps at a time each day.  I would say you can do 10-12 easily now before tripping on some floor hazard.  You have been saying "ball" for a couple of months now and point it out in every book you can.  You even said "ball" for a ladybug one day when we made you look at a book about animals.  You also say "vroom, vroom" and "more".  You can sign "more" and "all done". You give kisses not so much to actual people, but to babies and animals in the books you are looking at.  And speaking of books, you absolutely love your books and will drag them from your bin and look at them. You are always up for sitting on a lap and looking through a book with any adult, often we use it to calm you when you are upset. You go to sleep without a bit of trouble.  We lay you down, you flip to your tummy and then we cover you up with your special "Charlie" blanket, flip on your music and that is that.

So there it is!  One year of Charlie.  I can't wait to see what I'm (hopefully) writing next year at this time.

Love,
Mommy

No comments: