
We have now made 3 separate trips to the library to observe the hatching of the chicks that are currently residing there. Each of the St. Charles County libraries started with an incubator of eggs last week and this week they all have chicks!
We first checked out the boring old eggs and not surprisingly, Amelia was unimpressed. She was not at all interested in my detailed explanation about the chicks inside. In fact, I think she may have mentioned something about wanting to dye them instead!
Yesterday, she and GG headed to one of the branches to look at the newly hatched chicks and Amelia was completely taken. I talked to her from work during my lunch break and she couldn't stop telling me about how cute they were and that she thought it was funny that one was sleeping in the food bowl. I asked her if she heard them "cheeping" and she said, "No, they were in a glass coffin like Snow White".
Leave it to my daughter to find yet another real-life parallel to a Disney princess movie! I swear its never ending. No fear, though, the chicks were not in a coffin, but instead in a covered aquarium-like container.
Today, we made our third trip to see the little creatures and couldn't believe how big they were already. Amelia spent about 15 minutes standing on a stool watching the chicks. She especially liked hearing them "cheep, cheep, cheep". (No "coffins" at this particular branch, they had a wooden box with mesh sides, so she could hear all of their little noises).
Despite my best intentions, I too was so taken by the cute little chicks that I forgot to take some pictures. Maybe we'll be able to catch them one more time before they "go home" (as the library put it) on Friday.
1 comment:
You have to whistle at them and then they will all get silent all at once. We raised chickens when I was growing up and it's the coolest thing. It must be them listening to what their "mama" is saying. Try it and Amelia will think you're magic.
Post a Comment