It was the 99 cent bag of fresh spinach that prompted the return of some fun eating tricks around our house. Some of you long-time readers may remember THIS POST about sneaking veggies into fruit smoothies. I got away from this a bit during the winter months because the assortment of fruit available wasn't that great. But, with the cheap bagged spinach and more varieties of fruit showing up at the produce market, game on!
I usually add whatever I have on hand and always include yogurt and some sort of juice (apple, orange, grape, cranberry, etc.). We always have a stash of frozen blueberries and still have blackberries left from our Fair Shares days. I have also added pineapple, strawberries, cantaloupe, honeydew, and bananas. As for the veggies, aside from spinach (which works great!), I have also added cauliflower, broccoli, and carrots. I would not suggest adding peas, as the taste of them doesn't get covered up very well--yuck! I sometimes add a little sugar or vanilla extract if I'm feeling crazy. It really is amazing how well the fruit covers up the veggie taste!
I have heard from many, many, many of you that you use this for your kids and it has worked like a charm. I have also heard from a few of you who haven't been quite so lucky! Fortunately for us, it works for Amelia every time!
And since the smoothies are back, I decided it would be as good a time as any to try out the muffin tin lunch again. I think weekly is too often for us to partake in this little treat, but once every month or two is great to spice up lunchtime around here.
No comments:
Post a Comment