Each year, our Parents As Teachers group organizes two trips out to Busch Wildlife--one in the fall and another in the spring. And for the last three years or so, I have been wanting to take Amelia to one of these meetings, but have found an excuse each time to not go.
Boy have I (we) been missing out! We finally made it out there a few weeks ago and Amelia had a great time! And given the proposed PAT budget cuts, I am glad we went because it sounds like that might be the last time such a trip is organized.
Upon our arrival, the kids were allowed to roam freely in a classroom that was set up with various animal pelts, fossils, rocks, animal puppets, turtle shells, magnifying glasses, and the like. I love this picture below! That's my girl!

These are special glasses that show you how it looks through a bug's eyes.

After a short time exploring the room, there was a short presentation by a Busch Wildlife staff member. She talked about all the animals you might see in your backyard and showed the children a box turtle. She even let them "pet" the turtle.

After the turtle, she brought out a tiny green snake. The kids could only look, but not touch him because he was so thin and fragile. Amelia loved watching it "snake" around the girl's arm.

After the classroom presentation part, we took a short walk in the woods. I had no idea Amelia would be so into it! It makes me realize I need to take her out in nature more often. That will definitely be a summer goal.
Bird watching (she looks like she knows what she's doing, no?)Henry was along for the ride too. Mostly crabbing along the trail. He was not nearly as impressed as his sister was.

The "hike" instructor pointed out two tiny birds nest (in a tiny tree, of course). Can you spot them both in the picture?

All that "hiking" made us hungry. Luckily I packed a lunch because it was a beautiful day for a picnic!


Henry was a little more tolerant after getting out of his car seat and/or baby Bjorn.

We plan on returning soon to Busch Wildlife--maybe with Daddy this time. There is so much more to explore and Amelia cannot wait to check it all out!
No comments:
Post a Comment