Well, its hard to believe, but its been 3 whole weeks since little Henry joined our family. In some ways, it seems like he's been here all along. In other ways, I can almost forget he's upstairs when he's napping and it still sounds weird to me when I tell the doctor's office the name of my SON!
These last couple of weeks have been great--or at least better than expected. It pays sometimes to be a pessimist. I had envisioned a colicky baby who had trouble nursing (and sleeping for that matter). I had pictured sleepless nights and long days filled with a screaming infant. I tend to prepare myself for the worst so that I am either 1. prepared for the worst or 2. pleasantly surprised. Fortunately, in this instance, I have been pleasantly surprised.
Eating: As I have previously mentioned, Henry is a great eater. He has even taken his first bottle and despite being disgusted by the whole experience, he finished it. As best we can tell (and this involves standing on the scale, weighing ourselves and then standing on again with Henry and doing some quick math), Henry is between 10-10.5 pounds.
Sleeping: His sleep continues to come along, as well. The longest he slept this week was 5 hours and 45 minutes. He is getting REALLY close to the 6 hour stretches Amelia was doing at this age. Unfortunately most nights he sleeps in 4-4.5 stretches, anything longer comes in rare instances. Its still VERY hard for me to get up in the middle of the night to feed the little man. But, I really cannot complain because he immediately falls asleep when he's finished eating, unlike his sister who required some "shushing" and some "rocking" before returning to sleep.
Notables from the past two weeks: Henry not only enjoyed his first bottle this past week, but he also enjoyed his first "real" bath since losing his umbilical cord. And by enjoyed, I actually mean that he really did enjoy it! Despite his daddy drawing a rather chilly bath, he took it all in stride and to my knowledge didn't even pee in the water once! I think he is also trying to go for some kind of record for the number of times a kid can have hiccups in a 24 hour period--poor guy! He also seems to notice and stare at the black and white drawings Amelia and I made for him before his arrival. Maybe those Parents As Teachers people know a thing or two after all!
Medical Update: I spent a good amount of time on the phone with the pediatrician over the weekend. Amelia began complaining of a sore throat on Friday and initially, the nurse told me she didn't need to come in. I called back on Saturday morning, fearing strep, after Amelia came down with a low grade fever. Jason took her in on Saturday and the dr. confirmed that she was fighting some type of virus and that we should keep her away from Henry as best as we could. Then, Henry started showing signs of what my google search described as a blocked tear duct, so I was back on the phone with the doctor to make sure it wasn't an infection of some sort. By Monday afternoon, Amelia had developed a rash and call number 4 to the doctor was made. I am glad to report that both of my kids seem to be on the mend--although the blocked duct comes and goes.
Visitor Update: We've had lots of people come say hi to Henry during the last two week, some I've remembered to photograph and some I didn't. Great grandma and Papa Ward, Great Grandma Sinovich, Ann, Janice, Uncle Dave, both sets of grandparents, Erin and Elise, Tiffany and Todd, Susie and Natalie, and Lauren and Sienna. We've also been blessed with many visits from playgroup friends who have come bearing meals and clothes--which have been an incredible help! I even got to get out BY MYSELF over the weekend to meet a friend for lunch.
Big Sister Update: Amelia really has become the model big sister. I am so incredibly proud of my little lady who honestly could not be more head over heels in love with her little brother. Even with all of the visitors that have been coming around she makes sure everyone's hands have been sanitized and helps open all of Henry's presents. She is always willing to help with whatever we need (although it IS possible to be TOO helpful) and she can often be heard mumbling, "I love that Henry so much!' and "Isn't Henry so cute mom?".
One of the nice things about having a winter baby is having a great excuse (or many actually) not to go out---too cold/windy/wet, too many germs, roads are bad, etc. Its been a great opportunity to hang out and get to know Henry. And to my surprise it really hasn't been bad being "stuck" inside. It helps that Amelia has a whole load of new toys to play with. Its also nice that she gets to go to school two days a week to get a change of scenery.
So, that's our life in a nutshell. Nothing too exciting or flashy, but good nonetheless!
2 comments:
Oh, I love Henry already. Amelia is too sweet with him.
It looks like you guys are doing great! Amelia looks like a great big sister! Glad to hear its all going well with you!
Post a Comment