2.02.2010

Charlotte and Harold

A few months ago, I thought I'd give a chapter book a try with Amelia. I chose one of my favorites, Charlotte's Web. Despite the few pictures in the book, Amelia did pretty good following the story and seemed to enjoy reading a chapter or two each day. So, imagine my excitement when I saw that the Florissant Civic Center was putting on Charlotte's Web as part of their Family Theatre Series.

That was the good news. The bad news was that given the mid-January date of the performance, I would unlikely be able to attend the play with her. Luckily she has a great daddy who took her for a special afternoon at the Civic Center to check it out. Incidentally, I remember seeing plays at the same Center as a child.

Not surprisingly, Amelia was engrossed with the play and even insisted on sticking around afterwards to get all of the cast members' autographs on her program.

After checking the Family Theatre Series schedule again, I was again delighted to see another well liked book-turned-play on the list. In February, they will be performing "Harold and the Purple Crayon".

Although I had never read this book to Amelia, it just so happened that I had a copy in the ever-growing toy/book/game area of my closet where I stockpile future birthday and Christmas presents. So out came the book and in a 24 hour period, she had requested it no fewer than 10 times. When request number 11 came, I no longer had it in me to reread the story right then, so I asked her if she'd like to draw it out on her new easel instead.


And if you know the story of Harold and the Purple Crayon, you can just about imagine how much fun we had recreating all of the scenes. If you don't know the story, I recommend giving it a look-see and THEN imagining how much fun we had recreating the scenes.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I have never read this one, but looks like I need to. Lily's class is taking a field trip to see this next week!

Sarah said...

Oops! I mean the 17th. :)

The Weber family! said...

Adriana's class is going to see this on a field trip too! We are going on the 12th though. I have never read this either but I guess I will have to before the field trip next week.
Adriana loves chapter books too. She is fascinated with the American Girl books right now. I didn't even think about Charlottes Web, she would probably enjoy that as well and the boys might even enjoy it too as they don't seem to excited over the American Girl books.....hehe!