As with most holidays around the Ward household, we start our celebrations early and often. Valentine's Day was no exception. In fact, we started making our valentines in mid-January. I guess it helped that we have been housebound for about 6 weeks now. Our first batch of valentines were made using a sponge cut into the shape of a heart, some white paint, and our leftover pre-folded Christmas cards.

Perhaps you got one of these gems in your mailbox. Amelia has been big on mail lately--both sending and receiving it! And since we have an endless supply of artwork, we've been opting to share it with many friends and family. Luckily, we have some great family members that get a kick out of getting mail from Amelia and send some back in return.
Our next activity was found on
No Time For Flashcards. We decided to make up a batch of glitter playdoh (Amelia chose to make yellow), then pretended to make beautiful Valentine cupcakes. We even added some of our fancy heart sprinkles. We saved them to show Jason and "ate" them after dinner for dessert.


I've been on a mission to clean out extra junk around here (which is an ongoing job!). When I came across a bunch of old magazines and some scraps of paper from Amelia's birthday party, I decided to put it to good use with this heart collage. We also added some stickers and aluminum foil. This was quick, easy, fun, and looks great when it is finished!

We decided to use up some of the duplicate pictures I had around on another heart. I was thinking she would cut the photos into small pieces, but she wanted to cut around the pictures and use them whole. I love the way this one turned out too!

This idea came from a recent issue of Family Fun magazine. I had spotted these super cute valentines and thought they would be perfect to make for Amelia's class. I folded down the corner of the page (which is usually as far as I get for most projects) after getting Amelia's approval. But it just so happens that a few days later my mom came over and was looking through the magazine and commented about how cute they were. With her help we knocked almost all 21 out for her class in one day. Of course, when my wonderful husband got home from work, he jokingly reminded me that you can pick up a pack of valentines from the store for about $2.

On one leaf it says, "From you Bud-dy".

Once we actually made it to the holiday itself, I had a special surprise for Amelia set up to help her find her valentine gift. When she got up from her nap there was a trail of tiny paper hearts leading from her room all through the house and finally to her present. I had her pick them up as she went hoping to both slow down the process and essentially make her clean up the 100+ hearts. About halfway through she asked for help picking them up--I may have gone a bit overboard. It was fun though, she's really been into making "animal trails" lately.

No comments:
Post a Comment