3.25.2010

Ice, Ice Baby

An excellent opportunity fell into my lap thanks to a member of my playgroup. We were able to score $10 tickets to Disney on Ice. I have never been before, but from what I understand, that is an amazing price. And did I mention we pretty much couldn't have had better seats unless we were actually sitting on the ice? I guess they COULD have been a little better, I think we were in the 4th row.

Regardless, I wasn't about to let the cat out of the bag to Amelia ahead of time for fear of having to answer about a billion questions. So, we went about our day that morning and all I told her was that I had a mystery for her to solve (this is her new thing thanks to a budding interest in Scooby and the gang). I told her that as she completed assigned tasks (read: chores) around the house, she would receive a new clue. She fed the dog, made her bed, picked up all of her toys, brushed her teeth, and finished breakfast with not a single complaint! Lovely!

The first clue she earned was her Belle dress. I told her that was what she would be wearing. Next, we made popcorn and packed it in a bag along with a few other snacks and a drink. Then, GG showed up (to watch Henry) as clue #3. The fourth clue were the tickets (which of course meant nothing to her), but I pointed out the word "Disney" on them and she immediately asked, "Are we going to Disneyworld??".

While GG was here, she gave Amelia clue number 5. She pretended to ice skate around on the hard wood floor. Amelia was stumped! Her final clue was me telling her that someone very special would be sitting next to us. Someone that she loves! She asked, "Is it Jesus?".


With all the clues gathered, we headed out to the Scottrade Center to solve the mystery. She was thrilled when she recognized so many of her friends sitting around us and was especially excited when Natalie and Emma showed up to sit next to us. (Thankfully, she wasn't at all disappointed that it was them and not Jesus).


And the show could not have been better! I didn't get a single picture of any of the characters because I was too busy watching these three ladies captivated by the action on the ice. But, nearly every single character that Amelia knows and loves showed up for the performance. She was beside herself and is STILL talking about it weeks later.


And somehow, although I'm not sure how, we escaped without spending a single dime on merchandise (read: light up junk). But, I will be sure to pick up a light up flashlight or glow necklace of some sort next time at Target to surprise her with once we get there. It would be worth it instead of having to deny her no less than 30,000 times the $22 variety sold at the show.

No comments: