3.20.2010

Memphis: Day 4

After my minor freak-out once we booked the mini-vacation to Memphis, Jason said, "We can always just come home if things don't go well". Well, I'm happy to report we made it to the end of our trip!

Most of Day 4 wasn't spent in Memphis. In fact, it was less than 1/2 hour of our day once we got on the road. On the way to Memphis, we had briefly talked about stopping in Sikeston, MO on the way home to take Amelia to Lambert's Cafe. I am not a huge fan of the place, but Jason thought Amelia would get a kick out of the "throwed rolls" and the like.

We really spent a lot of time talking the place up to Amelia so by the time we got there, she was all about seeing some bread get thrown across the room. The first "bread boy" that came around came right to our table and barely tossed one to Amelia. She was not impressed. And, of course, the guy that really threw them all the way across the room made an appearance while she and I were in the bathroom. So, the next time he came out and we were actually at the table, she was pretty excited. So excited, in fact, that she was standing on the bench in our booth watching the man chuck the bread all over the room. She happily exclaimed, "Catch one dad!", so Jason put his hand up to signal to the bread boy that he wanted a roll. (At this time the guy throwing the bread and our booth were about as far away from each other as possible). So the man (who had quite an arm) sent a roll sailing our way and Amelia was awestruck...that is until it struck her right in the forehead! And then, she started crying--hysterically. The kind of crying where she couldn't quite catch her breath to say in one coherent sentence: "I....want....to...go...hhhooommmmeee!".

Jason and I felt HORRIBLE. This type of crying is pretty uncharacteristic of Amelia. Granted she was tired, but she said it was hot and it was traveling pretty fast so I'm sure it hurt. The bread boy came over (twice) and apologized profusely. Luckily actually tasting the bread roll was enough to turn off the tears. They are quite good, you know.

She was able to laugh about it a few hours later and still giggles now when we bring it up. But, I don't think she is in any hurry to get back there.


Amelia likes to do this thing lately where she intentionally gets food on her face and then says, "Look at me!". Then, when we tell her that her face is a mess, she laughs uncontrollably. Oh, to be 3!

All in all, I would certainly say the trip was a success! We are already scouting out our next voyage. And Amelia was so excited that the morning after we returned from our trip was spent sewing on two new buttons to her map quilt: Arkansas and Tennessee. She's up to 10 states total that she has visited!

No comments: