6.07.2009

Laumeier Sculpture Park

Laumeier Sculpture Park has been on my list of places to visit in St. Louis for way too long now.  Amelia and I decided last Thursday was the day to head there and check it out.  My motive was the need to wear her down to ensure she would take a good nap given the busy evening we had planned.  In the end, I believe that I was the one who was most worn out after our 2 hour visit.

Upon our arrival at the park, Amelia immediately began asking where the playground was.  When I told her there was no playground at this park, she promptly told me she didn't "want to go to THIS park".  She wanted to go to a "DIFFERENT park".  However, once I pointed out the gigantic eyeball we could see from the parking lot, she was hooked!

Amelia was pretty impressed that the eyeball happened to be the same color as HER eyeball!  Oh, the excitement!   On our way home, I asked her which was her favorite sculpture (our new word for the day) she saw today and she enthusiastically proclaimed, "That HUGE eyeball!".

The park is pretty fantastic, not only is there numerous sculptures randomly placed throughout the park, but there are trails that go into the woods and along the trails there are more sculptures to observe.

This sculpture is of a poet sitting in a chair by a tree.  Amelia was trying to figure out which was the person and which was the tree.


This one was titled something like, "Two poets walking".  When I told Amelia that she stood in between them and said, "Now there are three".  Guess you can't argue with that!

The size of some of these pieces of art are incredible!


This was MY favorite one we saw on Wednesday.  The size is unbelievable (and hard to capture on film).  That is Amelia running around in front of it.


Amelia got a kick out of this!  (As did I, actually).

Once we reached the furthest possible point from our car, Amelia decided she was TOO tired to continue and must be carried (something I have pretty much refused to do now that she exceeds 30 lbs).  Upon further discussion and inspection, I noticed that she actually had two blisters forming on her feet (probably from refusing to switch her crocs to the correct feet and spending much of the morning running around with them on the wrong feet).  So, it was a very slow, shoeless walk back to the car.  Remember my goal was to wear HER out, so there was no way I was going to carry her.  

We didn't get to see all of the park, but that just guarantees that we will be making another trip back soon (although, I think I'll be bringing the stroller next time).  I noticed on their WEBSITE that on Friday evenings they have family friendly music/movie nights in the amphitheater.  We may just check it out!

2 comments:

Lynn said...

I love Laumeier! Some things like that big red sculpture are always there, and some installations come and go...I've never seen that eyeball before! Although the programming has changed, we used to go there for free summer band concerts when I was a kid & it was a lot of fun, especially to pack some snacks or dinner & bug spray. The movies & music sound fun now too....we might have to check that out this summer!

Anonymous said...

I have always wanted to check it out. Your pictures make it go towards the top of the list! And I heard about the concert/movie series there on the radio. You should definitely check it out!