6.27.2009

Update from the Garden, once again

Hopefully the four readers I have of this blog are not getting sick of hearing about our garden.  Suffice it to say that I am excited (and even a little shocked) that things are actually growing beautifully in our backyard.  So, please just bear with me!

This picture shows Jason's master carpentry work and the cage he built to protect our vegetables from rabbits, squirrels, and mostly our dog, Truman.  Some plants couldn't go under the cage due to the heights which they will grow.


I was trying to drag Amelia away from our pool to stand next to our gigantic sunflower, but it just wasn't happening.  The sunflower is now taller than me, which is a pleasant surprise because I thought I had accidentally bought the 3 ft. variety.  I think the flowers are getting ready to bloom on one of the sunflower stalks.


This is our monster romaine lettuce that we just picked.  I didn't measure it, but the thing was probably pretty close to two feet tall!  We harvested lots and lots of lettuce this week and have been enjoying salads, BLT sandwiches, wraps, and the like.  Truth be told, though, we are hardly making a dent in our lettuce stash.

The less impressive (but still delicious) lettuce.  I am not sure what this type is called, but I've found it to be quite flavorful--as far as lettuce goes, anyway.

One of our tiny pea pods.  We need to harvest soon because the second batch we planted will probably be ready in a few weeks.

Do you see that zucchini in there?  We actually have several now.  It has been an interesting experience watching them develop--I had no idea where the fruit would grow and it turns out it was the stem of the flower!

A few of our tomatoes!  We have over 20 green ones.  At the rate they are growing, I am pretty sure they will all be ready to eat while we are out of town on vacation.

The whole deal!  

Its come a long way, wouldn't you say??


3 comments:

The Weber family! said...

Wow, it looks great! Ours isn't doing so well so I'm going to show Chris your pictures and see if maybe we can do something like that next year! Good Job!

Raines Inc said...

I wish I could do this in the back yard but those darn bunnies are to smart for me LOL

Lauren said...

Looks great Jodi! I had no idea where zucchini grew either. Something new every day.