9.28.2009

Dying to get In

One of my Grandpa Fey's all time favorite jokes was told any time he spotted a cemetery or hearse. I guess it wasn't a joke really, more like a comment. He would always just point it out and say, "People are dying to get in there". On occasion, he might say, "Do you know why they put a fence around that cemetery?" and then deliver his line. Even if you groaned, rolled your eyes, sighed, or beat him to the punch, he would still make the comment as if you said nothing.

I think Amelia would have appreciated that joke. Last week, we drove by a cemetery and Amelia spotted it from the back seat.

Amelia: Mom! Look at all those pretty things over there!

Me: Yep, that is a cemetery and those are gravestones.

Amelia: They just look so pretty mommy! I wish I could live there with all of those gravestones.

As if that wasn't enough, we spotted yet another cemetery a few days later.

Amelia: Mom! Look at all of those pretty gravestones!

Me: Uh-huh.

Amelia: I wish we had a lot of pretty gravestones like that in our backyard! Then we could see them all of the time!

2 comments:

Lauren said...

I love it! Constantin must be channeling your grandfather because every time we pass a cemetery it is, "Do you know how many people are buried there?... All of them!" If there is a fence he delivers the same statement of your Grandpa Fey.

You should get or make some gravestones for your Halloween decorations this year and make them pretty for Amelia. So cute.

The Weber family! said...

Maybe you should get a few gravestones for your front yard for halloween, I bet Amelia would love it. That is a cute story!