The highlights from my 39 week appt:
1. Despite my many hours of walking these last two months, for the 5th straight week, I was told that I am not at all dilated. And, although the baby's head is down, it is STILL not engaged. My cervix is "very soft" however.
2. The dr. is unsure whether the baby's head is not engaged yet because the baby is not "ready" or because the baby is too big. yikes!
3. The dr. predicts that this baby will be larger than Amelia (7 lbs, 3 oz). He said, "in the 8's" which I think is kind of a broad statement. He said this, although I am no longer measuring large, but right where I should be.
4. My dr. (who claims to deliver 95% of his babies) will be out of town and unable to deliver baby Pom Pom should he/she decide to come December 24-27. I have never met his partner who is on call for those days. My doctor assures me he is good, as long as he's sober. Very funny.
5. The hospital where I plan to deliver is slammed for next week (apparently everyone wants that tax deduction!), but I was able to secure an induction date should that be necessary. Looks like December 30 will be the big day (well, the day I GO to the hospital anyway).
6. Because I am ZERO cm dilated, the dr. is planning on using Cervidil in the hopes of softening my cervix before the Pitocin is administered. This will have to be in place for 12 hours which means that the Pitocin won't start until late Weds. evening. It only took 4 hours of Cervidil to start labor with Amelia, no Pitocin necessary. It would be great if we could go that route again.
7. Early on, when thinking about possible dates this baby could arrive, I expressed an interest in having a child with a New Year's Eve birthday. After all, it will always be a party on his or her big day! Um, looks like that may come to fruition.
8. The very best thing to come from all of this is my Sister-in-Law's comment today that she can't see leaving St. Louis and heading back to DC until this baby is born (they were set to go back on the 29th)! Woo, I cannot tell you how happy this makes me!
9. And lastly, for the record, I also think I'm on to something with that whole stubborn Capricorn thing too....just sayin'.
2 comments:
So sorry you're still pregnant. I know how much that last weeks sucks.
I, too, am disappointed, because I have the perfect gift for Baby Pom Pom that will no longer be valid after Friday.
Will be thinking about you this week!!
you are the best! can't wait to meet this little one and give him/her lots of love!!!! SO glad to be here to share this with you!
Post a Comment