In the midst of trying to get ready for Baby Pom Pom and Christmas simultaneously, I was afraid we would have to miss out on all of the fun activities to do this time of year. Surprisingly, we've gotten the opportunity to do TONS of things. My goal was to do a different activity each night for Advent (although some nights involved watching a Christmas special on TV). What I haven't had time to do is blog about each one. So, here I will just make a quick note of each one for future reference.
We actually started with this activity before we had even made it into the month of December. I bought a gingerbread house making kit at 75% off last year after Christmas and decided to give it a try with Amelia. It was perfect! So easy to assemble and she was really into doing it. An added bonus was using our own candy to supplement what the kit came with--no more Halloween candy in these parts!
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
I got my turn a couple of nights later at a Gingerbread House making party given by one of the moms in my playgroup. I had a blast making it and used the entire 3 hours allotted to complete my house.




Early on in December, Amelia's friend Natalie invited us to her school to have breakfast with Santa. Much to our delight breakfast was "catered" by McDonalds and was enjoyed by all. Amelia was determined to have me sit on Santa's lap and then decided she would sit on my lap. She was in mid-sentence telling Santa what she wanted when he said, "I'm having trouble hearing you, come closer" while grabbing for her at the same time. She wanted nothing to do with sitting on his lap after that, but he did talk her into holding his hand while Jason snapped a quick pic.

There were lots of cute crafts to make at Breakfast with Santa and even an opportunity for the kids to shop for family and friends without their parents. Amelia decided to pick out gifts for Jason and I as well as both grandmas, a friend, and our dog. Should be interesting come Christmas morning. The helper that took her to shop commented that Amelia "knew exactly what she wanted" and was finished shopping very quickly. I will say she must have done a good job picking out the dog's gift. Truman has attempted to open the gift (and only HER gift) on multiple occasions and it had to be put up from under the tree.

Also in early December, my dad got us tickets to see The Nutcracker at the Fabulous Fox. Although Amelia was familiar with the story, I was concerned she would be too young to last through an entire production. Turns out, I was wrong! She, Jason, Jason's mom, and I all got dressed up (which she loved, of course), had dinner, and headed to the show. She was pretty engrossed throughout the whole thing and told us her favorite part was watching the fight between the Nutcracker and the Mice King.
We also took a trip to Main Street St. Charles for their "Christmas Traditions" celebration. Unfortunately, the minute we stepped from the car it began to pour. We had to duck into the first shop we came to and luckily for Amelia it was a candy store. We somehow managed to kill some time in there until the weather let up. We strolled for a little while and went down to check out the ice skating rink, but the rain wouldn't stay away. We found a little cafe to get some hot chocolate, apple cider, and dessert. Even though the night didn't go quite as planned, it was still a really fun time!


Of course, we put up our tree as well. Amelia took the job of keeping the tree on the roof of our car very, very seriously. She did not let go of the string the entire 15 minute drive home.

Of course, we had to decorate our tree too. Yikes, look at that belly!


Amelia putting the finishing touch on our tree!

We checked out a very impressive Christmas lights display near our house. All of the lights were set to music that plays on a radio station. The owner of the home broadcasts the station from his house.
.jpg)
After walking by the giving tree numerous times at the mall during Stroller Aerobics, we decided to snag a few tags and grant some wishes. I was so proud of Amelia for taking the job of finding gifts for the kids we picked so seriously. In fact, after dropping off our first round of gifts, she talked me into picking up another tag because she was concerned that there were still so many left on the tree. I will definitely have to be more organized next year and start a little earlier in the charity giving process.
.jpg)
Over the weekend, Amelia and I joined our friends Natalie and Susie to visit Journey to Bethlehem at a nearby church. I have heard about this each Christmas season for the last several years and have been meaning to check it out. One year Jason and I even drove around aimlessly looking for it before giving up and returning home. It is essentially a live performance that starts inside on the stage. There they tell the story of Mary and Joseph. After about 45 minutes, you start an outdoor journey from Nazareth to Bethlehem to be counted for the census (basically you are following Mary and Joseph). You encounter characters along the journey including angels and the 3 Wisemen. There are also live animals and a fire at most stops to help keep warm. At the end of the journey, you arrive in the barn where you see Mary and Joseph rocking Baby Jesus. Afterwards, they even give you hot chocolate and cookies! I read somewhere that over 100 members of the church participate each year to make the event happen (I would imagine its more, though) and 14,000 took the "Journey" during its 4 day run. Amelia was a bit young (or was it the 45 minute wait outside to start the program?) and I'd have to think awhile before deciding to take her again next year. But, it will surely become a tradition for our family at some point--it was really beautiful.
Today we had the chance to bake lots and lots of cookies with GG. Amelia actually told me during the process that I "filled her bucket" because I let her crack an egg on her own while we were mixing up the chocolate chip batter. It really is the little things!
And lastly, one of my favorite holiday traditions happens each December with Jason's family. They hold a progressive dinner where we visit and admire each other's decorated homes for Christmas. And, of course, there is always a plethora of wonderful food at each location. I have no photos from this year, but it was wonderful as usual!
We actually started with this activity before we had even made it into the month of December. I bought a gingerbread house making kit at 75% off last year after Christmas and decided to give it a try with Amelia. It was perfect! So easy to assemble and she was really into doing it. An added bonus was using our own candy to supplement what the kit came with--no more Halloween candy in these parts!
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
I got my turn a couple of nights later at a Gingerbread House making party given by one of the moms in my playgroup. I had a blast making it and used the entire 3 hours allotted to complete my house.
Early on in December, Amelia's friend Natalie invited us to her school to have breakfast with Santa. Much to our delight breakfast was "catered" by McDonalds and was enjoyed by all. Amelia was determined to have me sit on Santa's lap and then decided she would sit on my lap. She was in mid-sentence telling Santa what she wanted when he said, "I'm having trouble hearing you, come closer" while grabbing for her at the same time. She wanted nothing to do with sitting on his lap after that, but he did talk her into holding his hand while Jason snapped a quick pic.
There were lots of cute crafts to make at Breakfast with Santa and even an opportunity for the kids to shop for family and friends without their parents. Amelia decided to pick out gifts for Jason and I as well as both grandmas, a friend, and our dog. Should be interesting come Christmas morning. The helper that took her to shop commented that Amelia "knew exactly what she wanted" and was finished shopping very quickly. I will say she must have done a good job picking out the dog's gift. Truman has attempted to open the gift (and only HER gift) on multiple occasions and it had to be put up from under the tree.
Also in early December, my dad got us tickets to see The Nutcracker at the Fabulous Fox. Although Amelia was familiar with the story, I was concerned she would be too young to last through an entire production. Turns out, I was wrong! She, Jason, Jason's mom, and I all got dressed up (which she loved, of course), had dinner, and headed to the show. She was pretty engrossed throughout the whole thing and told us her favorite part was watching the fight between the Nutcracker and the Mice King.
We also took a trip to Main Street St. Charles for their "Christmas Traditions" celebration. Unfortunately, the minute we stepped from the car it began to pour. We had to duck into the first shop we came to and luckily for Amelia it was a candy store. We somehow managed to kill some time in there until the weather let up. We strolled for a little while and went down to check out the ice skating rink, but the rain wouldn't stay away. We found a little cafe to get some hot chocolate, apple cider, and dessert. Even though the night didn't go quite as planned, it was still a really fun time!
Of course, we put up our tree as well. Amelia took the job of keeping the tree on the roof of our car very, very seriously. She did not let go of the string the entire 15 minute drive home.
Of course, we had to decorate our tree too. Yikes, look at that belly!
Amelia putting the finishing touch on our tree!

We checked out a very impressive Christmas lights display near our house. All of the lights were set to music that plays on a radio station. The owner of the home broadcasts the station from his house.
.jpg)
After walking by the giving tree numerous times at the mall during Stroller Aerobics, we decided to snag a few tags and grant some wishes. I was so proud of Amelia for taking the job of finding gifts for the kids we picked so seriously. In fact, after dropping off our first round of gifts, she talked me into picking up another tag because she was concerned that there were still so many left on the tree. I will definitely have to be more organized next year and start a little earlier in the charity giving process.
.jpg)
Over the weekend, Amelia and I joined our friends Natalie and Susie to visit Journey to Bethlehem at a nearby church. I have heard about this each Christmas season for the last several years and have been meaning to check it out. One year Jason and I even drove around aimlessly looking for it before giving up and returning home. It is essentially a live performance that starts inside on the stage. There they tell the story of Mary and Joseph. After about 45 minutes, you start an outdoor journey from Nazareth to Bethlehem to be counted for the census (basically you are following Mary and Joseph). You encounter characters along the journey including angels and the 3 Wisemen. There are also live animals and a fire at most stops to help keep warm. At the end of the journey, you arrive in the barn where you see Mary and Joseph rocking Baby Jesus. Afterwards, they even give you hot chocolate and cookies! I read somewhere that over 100 members of the church participate each year to make the event happen (I would imagine its more, though) and 14,000 took the "Journey" during its 4 day run. Amelia was a bit young (or was it the 45 minute wait outside to start the program?) and I'd have to think awhile before deciding to take her again next year. But, it will surely become a tradition for our family at some point--it was really beautiful.
Today we had the chance to bake lots and lots of cookies with GG. Amelia actually told me during the process that I "filled her bucket" because I let her crack an egg on her own while we were mixing up the chocolate chip batter. It really is the little things!
And lastly, one of my favorite holiday traditions happens each December with Jason's family. They hold a progressive dinner where we visit and admire each other's decorated homes for Christmas. And, of course, there is always a plethora of wonderful food at each location. I have no photos from this year, but it was wonderful as usual!
No comments:
Post a Comment