12.23.2011

Power Tower


Have you seen the "Power Tower" idea floating around the internet?  You write words that you want your child to learn on the bottom of Dixie cups.  Then, you hand them a big stack and they build a tower with the cups after reading the word on the bottom. 

I was having a little trouble believing it was really as popular with kids as people say, so I gave it a try. Now that Amelia is in school full-time with homework nearly every night, I try and not do too much extra "school" work at home.  And if I do any outright educational activities, I try to make them as fun as possible since she gets her fair share of worksheets at school (seriously, like 35 a week!).

So, I loaded the bottom of the cups with some new sight words (we have been working from the Dolch list since she long ago learned the ones her class is being taught this year).  I couldn't believe how fast she picked up the new words AND how much she enjoyed stacking them.  Of course, it is no surprise that knocking them over at the end is the best part! They are really easy to stack (she made the above "tower" all by herself) and they store perfectly in a Pringles can.  We have a (slightly less popular) math version, too, with simple addition problems on the bottom. 

No comments: