11.11.2009

Big Sis in Training


Amelia and I have now BOTH completed classes on preparing for the new baby. A few months ago, I went to a Parents As Teachers event that gave many, many ideas on ways to incorporate older child(ren) into the arrival of a new baby. And now that I think about it, I guess its just about time to get that list back out and review it a bit!

This past weekend it was Amelia's turn to complete her big sister class. The hospital where we are delivering put on a great "Super Sibs" class for expectant big brothers and sisters. Amelia was pretty pumped when I showed her the shirt I (finally) made for her. Applique to the rescue again!


I am pretty sure that the main reason it was such a hit is because anything that is pink is a big hit around here these days!

Given my anal ways, we arrived at the class WAY early with PLENTY of time to spare. We decided to give ourselves a mini-tour while we waited. I gave myself a tour of the restroom, while Jason and Amelia took a peek at the nursery.


In all honesty, the class itself was pretty annoying (mostly due to the obnoxious puppets and nauseating music), but was perfect for Amelia. She listened great, answered some questions, and even volunteered herself to throw away the baby puppet's "dirty" diaper. Hope she is that eager with the real deal!

After the puppet show, we all took a tour of the hospital floor where I will be staying once the baby is born. The kids saw a post partum room, the "family kitchen" that is fully stocked with snacks and drinks, and the nursery, of course. I like that they explained to the kids that mom will be resting and even showed them the way the bed can move up and down.

Once back in the room, the kids had a chance to hold a life like baby doll.


Amelia will tell you that her favorite part of the class was seeing the baby in the nursery, but she was pretty pumped about the backpack she received with a CD and book inside. And just when I thought I had heard all I was going to have to hear from those darned puppets.....


Amelia keeps asking when she is going back for her next big sister class. I guess she thinks its like dance class where she goes every week. I keep trying to tell her that her next "class" is going to be more like lifetime on the job training.

On the way out of the hospital, we stopped by the gift shop to show her all of the neat things inside. Needless to say, she has a thing or two picked out for the baby.....

No comments: