11.18.2009

Why My Second Child is Already Getting the Shaft

There really is no better title for this blog entry that has been swimming around in my mind since that April morning when I found out I was expecting.

1. The kid is the SECOND child in our family. (A second child to a fabulous first child, of course).

2. The kid's birthday will be ridiculously close to Christmas (maybe even ON Christmas). No swimming parties at the park for this kid and every birthday picture will probably have a Christmas tree in it.

3. If all goes as planned, the kid will be put into full time childcare at about 8 months of age so that I can become a full-time student. Amelia was not put into ANY care (with the exception of my mom's house once a week) until she started school this year at age 3.

4. Amelia was breast fed for 13 months before we called it quits. I would imagine that going back to school full time will put an early end to breastfeeding for kid #2.

5. Back to the birthday thing, my kid will most likely be a Capricorn--and not that there is anything wrong with that in and of itself--but the child's dear mother is a Capricorn too and if he/she is anything like me (high strung, moody, quick tempered) then yikes!

6. During my first pregnancy I have (at least) monthly pictures of how my belly progressed. I also kept a pregnancy journal from 20 weeks on and received weekly updates via email about the changes going on with the baby. Suffice it to say that this time around I have 1 "belly" picture, a journal started at 32 weeks, and check babycenter occasionally for an update when I think about it.

7. I kept to a strict caffeine-free diet during my pregnancy with Amelia. Absolutely no soda and not a single drop of alcohol (other than the margarita incident, but that wasn't my fault!). I never took a Tylenol and wouldn't even suck on a cough drop. Feta? None for me, thanks. Lunch meat? Wouldn't dream of it! A hot dog? Not with those nitrates! Let's just say that the diet this go around has been (much) less stellar. No doubt my kid is starting with less brain cells and a lower IQ already just on my food/drink ingestion alone.

If it seems like this is spoken like a true second child, its because I have first hand experience as a second child myself. A second child to a fabulous first child, no less. A second child with a birthday 12 days after Christmas. A second child who couldn't get her license on her 16th birthday because there was a huge snowstorm and the license bureau was closed. A second child who has a baby book that contains only her name and birth date--and the birth date is wrong.

Unfortunately, I think this list will grow as time goes on, but I'm trying to figure out small ways to make this child feel special despite all the ways he/she is getting the shaft already. In fact, last week I picked up the perfect baby book for him/her (I've been hunting for months). Now, I just have to make sure I get it filled out--right date and all.

7 comments:

Lynn said...

Reasons 2nd Baby is Lucky:
1. Already has more than one blog post about him/her and not even born yet!
2. Might be born during Christmas vacation and, like a summer baby, never have to go to school on his/her birthday.
3. Gets to be the FIRST little bro or sister in the family.
4. Already has a big sister
5. who has "broken in" the parents
6. which means, by your descriptions, a high strung Capricorn is better will be better off as the 2nd child.
(That's my start for you...)

Raines Inc said...

Know the feeling. Pour Cecelia does not have pictures at 4 weeks, 3,6 and 9 months and if she does have pics it has someone else in it LOL. And we are going through the birthday thing right now. Someone asked me if they could get her a combined birthday christmas gift UGH But the baby will still be loved just as much as the first one!!!!

Amy @ FitMommas said...

This was So hilarious! Love it, Jodi!

DEREK said...

you forgot to mention a second child to first first that mom loves more...i did recognize the backwards compliment though...thank you sister, you turned out to be a better than alright second child and a heck of a little sister (even if i did torment the hell out of you for the first 14-16 years or your life...love and miss you

DEREK said...

at least (or maybe too bad...hmmm) you and #2 are not like andrew, throw hanukah into the mix too...he doesn't know which way is up in the month of december...but he also tends to get more little things throughout the year though...also a lucky one, on his/her 21st birthday, they will most likely be nice and close to home...we met some folks who planned for their child to be born in the summer so they would be home on summer vacation during their child's 21st

Manda said...

I've decided to just come to terms with the second child idea. Makenna doesn't get picked up the moment she starts to cry. She hears "Okay hold on just a second" more times than I'd like to admit. She actually sleeps better in a loud chaotic room than she does when it's quiet. But every evening as we're cuddling, she stills gives me that look of love that only infants have so I guess she's doing just fine. I'm sure you guys will be just the same :)

Anonymous said...

I could have written your post, as I have been thinking similar things as well. Speaking as a second child myself, they always get some sort of the shaft but turn out well because they have get extra love from a sibling. This little one is very lucky to have a great mommy. So there's not as many pictures of your belly. Do they really want to see that? ;)