11.23.2009

A Little Sketchy

After seeing this idea in numerous places on the World Wide Web, I finally decided to give it a go. The "idea" is to have a Family Sketch Book and art supplies regularly available to use when the urge strikes. I invested a couple of dollars in a large, spiral-bound drawing book from Target and I am surprised by how well it has worked out.

For one, it is great not to have to hunt for paper when Amelia requests it. Secondly, I love that all of her drawings are confined to one area and bound together at that! When the book is full, it will be easy to store and file away. Lastly, its great because I have been taking detailed notes on the stories she tells about the pictures which provides us with great entertainment (and will for years to come, I'm sure).

Here is a small sampling of some of the work she has done so far. We've been using it for about 3 weeks. Anyone in our family is allowed to draw in the book at any time.

On this page, we decided we would all draw our own selves. I helped Amelia make her dress since she wanted to have the same one on as me. She has rosy cheeks because she is happy. The best part? When I asked what she thought a good title for the picture would be, she said, "Eight".


This is Belle (from Beauty and the Beast). She created this entire picture by herself while looking at a Belle figurine.


On this page, she told me what to draw and then she copied it. The squiggly lines at the bottom are snakes. She decided they wanted to look our the window at the apple tree. You can see my window and her window. My apple tree (which she drew the apples on) and her apple tree.


This work of art was completed during one of my OB visits. She was so focused on the drawing, I didn't hear a peep from her the whole time the dr. was in the room. It is the new baby, Daddy, Natalie, and Amelia. Amelia made a point to say that the "new baby has crazy hair sticking out everywhere".


Rainbow.


She has developed a recent obsession with Peter Pan after renting the movie from the library. Here (created while looking at the DVD case), we have Peter Pan (notice the red feather in his hat?), Wendy, and John.


This was a joint effort between her and I. In case you can't tell (although I'm sure you can), this is Mulan. Amelia did most of the coloring, the eyebrows, and smile and the rest was done by yours truly!


Unfortunately, I couldn't get a good picture of my favorite drawing so far. Amelia drew Daddy hugging a tree. I'm looking forward to watching this project unfold during the next few months!

1 comment:

Mary Bless said...

You're gonna have such a great time looking back at these when she's older! Great idea.