4.08.2010

Trickster

April Fool's Day is hardly a universally recognized holiday, I know. But I just can't help getting into it now that I have children and get those parenting magazines that include tons of cute little ideas for playing jokes. And although I got the magazines this year, I didn't have enough time to schedule and complete the "jokes" I wanted to play. We did a little better last year, even though Amelia totally didn't get what was going on.

This year we started the morning explaining the concept to Amelia. She immediately tried to "trick" me by saying I wasn't wearing any pants. Then it was, "Mom! There's a turtle in the backyard!". Before the day was over, I was "tricked" no fewer than four million times. Henry disappeared! There are two babies in the car seat! The lamp is on! The fun never stopped.

Jason suggested a few tricks she could play on her teachers and friends while she was at school. They were only mildly successful and didn't quench her need to April Fool me. The "tricking" started immediately upon picking her up.

I decided to channel her trickery into making a dirt cake. She had plans to spend the night at my parent's house that evening so we made a small version for us and a small one for them.

Not surprisingly, it was a big hit! The next day after coming back home we tricked Jason with the second cake.

And that was about the extent of our foolin' around. At least on that day. The fun has continued since April 1, apparently Amelia thinks that April Fool's lasts all month. Lucky us...

No comments: