10.25.2010

Beware...One of Those Proud Parent Moments Ahead

I try to keep these gushing proud parent moments to a minimum on this blog.  That is part of why I started each child a private blog of there own.  I don't tend to be real mushy, gushy in front of others, but this will be an exception. 

As you may remember from last year's parent-teacher conference, Amelia adjusted really well to school and her teacher had all good things to report.  And although I didn't write up the second conference we had last year publicly, it was another glowing report from her teacher.

About a month ago, Jason and I had our first parent-teacher conference of the year.  Upon sitting down, the first thing the teacher told us is that Amelia has taken some of the younger girls in the class under her wing (the class is mixed ages 3-5).  She mentioned one girl in particular who has had a difficult time adjusting to school and often complains of missing her mom.  The teacher said that every time the girl becomes upset, Amelia will quietly go over by her and rub her back and talk softly to her until she calms down.  I can really see Amelia doing this and it makes me so proud!  When a new student came to their class, the teacher appointed Amelia as the special helper to show her around and she took it very seriously! She commented that Amelia is assertive, very verbal, has an amazing vocabulary, and seems to have an aptitude for math and numbers.  She had a few examples of Amelia's work, but most all of the class time is spent doing "learning through play" type activities and there really is no "paper and pencil" work.

The teacher also mentioned that Amelia is very bright.  In fact, her teacher in conjunction with two others in the building are developing an enrichment program for a few students that have already mastered 90-100% of what they need to know by the time they leave pre-school.  Amelia is one of those students!  The teachers are using kindergarten curriculum to come up with challenging activities.  She has just started reading some words on her own and loves any type of knowledge I share with her.  She particularly enjoys hearing stories about famous people who have overcome some sort of adversity.

And although we didn't have a conference with her afternoon teacher, she has stopped me several times to tell me that she is so glad Amelia is in her class.  She calls Amelia a "leader" and a "great role model".  She also mentioned that the other children in the class notice when she is not there (she doesn't attend that class on Fridays, only Monday and Wednesday).

Both teachers mentioned that she often tells stories to the class (and teachers) about Henry.

While academics are very important, the fact that Amelia is so kind to others and puts an emphasis on being a great friend is incredible to me.  Looks like I got the whole package!  Needless to say, I am very proud of my girl.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

That is wonderful news! And you don't know how glad I am to hear about the enrichment program. About time!