11.02.2010

Here a Project, There a Project

 The fall has brought a few smallish projects my way.  None of them probably deserve an entire post to themselves, so I will just do a quick overview of each individually.

Determined to get reacquainted with my sewing machine after a very long hiatus, I thought I would give another pillowcase dress a try.  There is nothing like looking at cute Halloween fabrics to get my desire back.  I attempted a pillowcase dress long ago with the help of my mom, but ultimately got frustrated and let her finish it up about half way through.  This was my very first dress I sewed ENTIRELY on my own and honestly it wasn't so bad.  My mom, of course, was holding my hand the entire time.


Unfortunately, I don't have any great pictures of Amelia wearing it, but we sure did get tons of wear out of it!  I seriously love the shape of pillowcase dresses on my little lady and I am starting to wonder if her pillowcase dress days are numbered.  I think at some point she's not going to want to wear them anymore, but thankfully we aren't there yet!

These are the best pictures I have--look closely! (but not TOO closely)

The second project isn't so much my thing design wise, but I am a practical girl and this project screams practicality! I saw the idea in Family Fun Magazine as they were promoting the new Rapunzel movie coming out soon. We are forever losing bows and they constantly litter the house and bathroom.  They can be found under any given bed at any given time.  I just ordered a new batch of bows on eBay, so this project came at the perfect time.  Amelia loves her blond hair.  Amelia loves Rapunzel.  And I love having her bows in one spot.  The Rapunzel bow holder is obviously a win-win.  It was kind of a pain to make, but certainly serves its purpose and had my little girl squealing in delight.

 Next up was a little bling to go with Amelia's Halloween costume.  As you will see in a few posts, Amelia chose to be Dorothy this year and as I was perusing Dorothy items on Etsy, I came across an adorable pair of socks.  But for $8 plus shipping, there was no way I was forking over the dough for them.  My friend, Susie, makes super cute ruffle socks for Amelia at nearly every occasion and she whipped up these cute ones to match Amelia's costume.  Like the Etsy pair I saw, I added the red plastic bow and they were done.  Necessary?  Absolutely not!  Authentic Dorothy costume wear?  Nope!  But cute, nonetheless!


The last project is a twirly skirt I have been trying to get the nerve to try for some time now.  Turns out it is loads easier than a pillowcase dress!  Yay for no armholes! (And it will be even easier next time when I hopefully buy the right amount of fabric). I even decided to applique a shirt to match.  I have already picked out my next twirly skirt design and I am waiting for my fabric to arrive!

1 comment:

Teacher-Mom said...

You are way too clever Jodi! I guess it's a good thing I don't have girls because I just couldn't do it. Love all the project ideas, though.