In case you don't know the story, I will give you a quick summary. Pete is bummed because he had plans to play outside with his friends, but it starts to rain. His father, in an effort to cheer him up, decides to "make" him into a pizza. He kneads the "dough" (Pete) and throws it up in the air. He sprays the dough with olive oil (water) and adds flour (talcum powder). He adds tomatoes (checkers) and cheese (paper). He eventually throws Pete into the oven (couch) and bakes him to perfection. I mentioned to Amelia that we should do that some rainy day and she was so giggly just at the thought of it!
So I vowed that the next birthday party I attended, I would put together a "Pete's A Pizza" kit for the birthday child. My friend, Erin's daughter was the recipient. Little Elise turned 2 at the end of April.
I made some paper cheese and then bought the book, some talcum powder, a cheap set of checkers from the dollar store, and some tins to hold the "cheese" and "tomatoes".
I decided that what would make this gift even better was a bag to keep it all in. I cannot STAND games and toys with a million little pieces UNLESS they are all contained. It was my first attempt at creating a drawstring bag (which I did without my mom's help, thank you very much) and it went great. I followed this SUPER easy tutorial. I custom made the bag exactly big enough to fit the book. The bag was also the perfect, eco-friendly gift wrap!
Amelia was so excited to see the gift come together that she immediately added it to her birthday list (not just the book, but the pieces as well). And as requested, she received the "Pete's A Pizza" kit, minus the drawstring bag to keep it all contained. One day I will learn.
I can think of a million books that would be so cute to package in a bag with supplies to bring the book alive. "Harold and the Purple Crayon", "I Ain't Gonna Paint No More", "Mouse Paint" just to name a few!

No comments:
Post a Comment