7.18.2011

Stuffed

While heading out the door on a routine trip to the library, the book Sewing School caught my eye. Henry was already at his breaking point with our trip to the library, so I grabbed the book and checked it out without giving it much attention.

Turns out, I had recently started to follow the Sewing School blog in my google reader.  Amelia was really taken with this book and we got right to work. She loved what the book calls "stuffies".  No surprise that she chose to draw up Wendy as her character of choice on her first attempt at creating a "stuffie" of her own.


 After she drew on the material, I cut it out for her and then pinned it to the blue felt she used as a backing for the pillow.  Then I showed her both the whipstitch and the running stitch in the book and she chose to give the running stitch a try.

 When there was only a small gap left, we stuffed it with some pillow stuffing stuff that my mom gave us. She stitched the gap closed....

And then, Wendy was ready!  It was very exciting for us both!


She was so excited, she immediately started on stuffie #2--a car (with Henry and dad inside) for Henry!

She did several steps without my knowing and even began to sew the pillow by herself before I could get over to help her!

Today she started her third "stuffie" for a distant relative.  I can't wait to see how it turns out--could be her best one yet!!

No comments: