4.07.2012

Spring Break with Andrew and Jacob

When I found out Jason would be spending Amelia's entire spring break in Paris, I decided I either needed to join him or take a trip myself.  I know, it sounds like a very easy decision and we gave a lot of thought into taking Amelia with us and leaving Henry behind with grandparents, but in the end I chickened out.  I would have been on my own for most of the time in Paris and I just wasn't sure I wanted to take that on until Amelia is a little older.  So, we decided instead to head East to visit my brother and his family.

It was a pretty easy flight and both kids did great (luckily, my mom joined us too).  Amelia was SO excited to see her cousins and we were too! Amelia didn't leave Andrew's side the whole time we were there!



We mostly played and goofed with the boys, but the girls did sneak away for a diner breakfast one morning at Silver Diner.


And while most of our time was spent hanging with the boys, they were not on spring break during our visit.  So, when they went to school, we headed to Washington, DC to check out all of the amazing sites there.  I have been several times, but it always still takes my breath away to see such history.  I love introducing it all to Amelia.  She loves history and was eating it all up.




The Cherry Blossoms were just beginning to bloom.  I felt like we hit the jackpot!  2012 is also the Centennial Celebration.  It was so beautiful!


It seems like the spring is our usual time to visit the DC area, but this is the first time I have strolled among the cherry blossoms.  I could have spent the whole day there if I didn't feel like I was going to loose my mind trying to keep Henry from diving into the Tidal Basin.

It was also amazing to see the new Martin Luther King, Jr. monument.  Amelia and I have talked about him a lot and so she was excited to see it too.  The monument is at a beautiful spot and it was hopping that day.







We had quite a bit of walking done by lunchtime.  We decided we needed to stop for a break at the Jefferson Memorial.  We had a nice spot overlooking the basin and cherry blossoms.  If only lunch was this scenic everyday...


After lunch, Amelia was walking around the memorial and noticed a nice bunch of cherry blossoms that someone had left behind.  She picked it up and carried it around until the gift shop employee warned us of the stiff fine she could face it caught with a detached blossom.  So, down it went.  Ooops!


Henry was pretty much done by this point.  So, my mom dropped Amelia and I off at Ford's Theatre--a must see according to Amelia.  She drove around a couple of blocks so that Henry could sleep a bit.  He was out super quick and Amelia and I enjoyed learning all about Lincoln's assassination and visiting the museum in the basement.



Across the street is the Peterson House where Abraham Lincoln was taken the night he was shot and where he eventually died.  Amelia had been scoping out all the gift shop choices for the ONE souvenir I said she could get.  At the Peterson House she came across a (cherry blossom) fan that she HAD to have.  It is still a favorite around the house and she has even made some progress on her desire to start a "fan collection" since the DC trip.




On our last full day, Andrew played hooky from school and we headed to a super fun Children's Museum in Baltimore.  The kids had a great time and Amelia could have lasted way longer if it wasn't for her nap-needing bro. 



The best part was this cute little diner that the kids could play in.  It was HUGE.  They could cook the food and then serve it to the parents in little booths.  Amelia spent most of her time in this room and definitely could have easily spent a whole day pretending to take orders, prepare food, and serve it.  It was really amazing!

(Henry has yet to master pretend eating.  He woke up on the morning of our departure with a fever.  I'm guessing the virus may have entered his body at this exact moment...).







We also got to visit with my cousin, John, and his family during our trip.  They recently moved into a new house and it is so lovely and perfect for their family.  We had a great time playing in their ENORMOUS playroom which easily accommodated all 6 kids in attendance. 


It was such a great trip and I can't wait to head back!




No comments: