10.15.2009

Back to the 'Ville

Almost exactly nine years ago I graduated from college. Its hard to believe that much time has gone by. I've been busy working with juvenile offenders and special needs kids, getting married and having a baby, and moving to Chicago and back. I've had two jobs, three cars, two houses, an apartment, and 1.5 babies in that time. Despite all of these adventures, one thing I have not done is return to Kirksville and visit the ol' college stomping ground.

This weekend, we had the chance to do just that. Over the summer, Jason received word that the 1998-1999 Truman basketball team was going to be inducted into the Athletic Hall of Fame. Jason was a part of that team and it was an incredibly exciting season, ending with the team placing third in the nation. The induction was held in conjunction with Homecoming weekend.

We left Friday morning (since the induction was that evening) and arrived in the 'Ville with enough time to take a tour of the campus and show the little one around. We originally were not planning on taking Amelia, thinking it may be hard to wrestle her during the 3+ hour ceremony. But I am SO GLAD we brought her along--she had a great time!

(As is evidenced in the picture).


That's the library in the background--my old place of employment! We took Amelia in the library and visited with my old supervisor. It was really fun catching up and Amelia loved seeing a library that was so much fancier than our library at home.


There was a stage set up on the quad, probably for some sort of Homecoming skit or band. It was apparently calling Amelia's name.



This is Missouri Hall. The dorm where both Jason and I resided. Those of you familiar with the dorm will notice the new glass addition. Apparently the dorm is now also equipped with air condition--a luxury we lived without.


We stopped by the gym, where Amelia was engrossed for a full 15 minutes with the volleyball team's practice. Then, she and Jason did some sprints up and down the court for old time's sake.


After a stop at the hotel and a little rest time, we changed and headed to the reception. This was held in the old Quiet Lounge (now called "The Hub") in the Student Union Building. It also has had a major update and looks really great. Amelia enjoyed the swanky appetizers.


Upon our arrival at the reception, we were greeted with (among other things) name tags for the whole family. Amelia really thought it was great that she got her own. In her other hand, she is clutching Jason's boutonniere--also a popular item that night.


Amelia was surprisingly patient during the lllllooooonnnnnnggggg dinner. When she could no longer sit at the table, she found a friend she met at the reception and the two of them got down to coloring.


After dinner, we moved to Ophelia Parrish for the ceremony portion of the evening. I almost did not recognize the building as it has had a complete makeover. They even built a new theater that is really top notch. Here are a few of the basketball players on stage with their awards. They are all smiles because the coach is telling some interesting stories about them.


After the ceremony, there was a dessert reception in the new OP art gallery. This was also a surprise and very well done. If you can't tell, I was repeatedly impressed with all of the updates that the university has made in the last 9 years. Amelia enjoyed pursuing (read: touching) the art and dining on yogurt and berries.

She also found her fellow 3-year old friend and the two of them caused some trouble. She actually told me at one point, "I am just going to walk around with her (meaning her friend) for a little bit". I swear some days she is 3 going on 13!

I was SO impressed with the way Amelia handled herself that night. I still can hardly believe she got through almost 6 hours of programming. Thank goodness that nearly every player on the basketball team has kids and brought them along, too. There were plenty of playmates to choose from!

The next morning, we attended the Homecoming parade--an event I could never wake up quite early enough for when I was a student there.


Man, it was cold though! The day never really warmed up like we thought it would. I was ill prepared for a 24 degree wind chill. Not only did I bring my dressy coat, that is not really known for its warmth, it wouldn't even close around my big belly. I also had no hat for me and no gloves for Amelia.

We decided to hit up the new little cafe in the Student Union Building for some hot chocolate (and parade candy, of course) post parade. We got our drinks and then headed back to "The Hub". I am seriously a little jealous that all of this wasn't in place when I was there.



Amelia loved the posh, circular seating.


After killing some time with various chocolate drinks and treats, we headed to the dedication of the King House. Apparently the past owner of the house was the head basketball coach at the university long ago. The house, located on campus, was being placed on the National Historic Registry. The coach asked all of the players to come, if possible. It was a short and sweet ceremony. And thank goodness because a certain someone was getting awfully antsy waiting for the speeches to end.

We got some lunch (at Ruby Tuesdays no less!) and still had some time to kill before the football game. Seeing that Amelia was very close to falling asleep, we drove around for a little bit before snagging our spot in the football stadium parking lot. Jason and Amelia had a snoring competition, while I did some ebay bidding on my iPhone!


When it got close to half-time, we braved the cold and headed to the stadium. We lasted just about as long as half-time. It was easy to remember why I rarely attended football games while going to school there. Its just too freakin' cold to be outside in Kirksville once October hits, I think.



Of course, our trip down memory lane would not be complete without a stop by the houses where we used to stay.

Jason will claim his was pretty much the best there was in Kirksville--mostly because it had a dishwasher, washer, and dryer (and no bats). The years, however, have not been kind to it. It was looking pretty run down or maybe our standards have changed!


I certainly will never claim my house was the best Kirksville had to offer considering its fire hazard floor plan, shag carpet, oven that shot flames out when you turned it on, and its visiting bat population. But, it was a fine house for our needs. It certainly beat the on-campus apartment I stayed at the year before (they have new luxurious apartments on campus as well!). I mean check out that ivy growing up the side of the house--such character!


It was a super fun trip and I am quite sure that we will be returning before 9 more years go by. I am just waiting for someone to give me an award now--like maybe Young Alumni of the Year or something would be great!

2 comments:

Amy @ FitMommas said...

What a great trip down Memory Lane! I lived in MO Hall, too! 520, I still remember (and I'm WAY older than you!). So fun, and so proud of little Amelia! Makes me want to take my boys back there!

The Weber family! said...

What a fun trip! It looks like you guys had a great time. It was probably a lot of fun showing Amelia all the great things about school there.