8.10.2010

Muffin Tin Crayons

While preparing some old baby clothes and toys for the upcoming winter consignment sale, I went on a decluttering mission around the house. I decided enough was enough and spent a good 30 minutes sifting out the many broken crayons from our overflowing crayon box. While doing this, it was Amelia who suggested turning the broken crayons into some new ones.


Because this was a bit impromptu, I didn't have anything ready to use as the mold. I did some quick looking on the internet and decided to use one of my old muffin tins. I didn't have any liners in the house, but because the tin was old and gross already, I decided to use it anyway. I sprayed the tin with vegetable spray and then Amelia and I peeled the paper off of each crayon and broke them into smaller pieces. I asked Amelia if she would like to separate them by color or make rainbow crayons this time. It's no surprise she chose rainbow!


I set the oven at 275 and put the muffin tin in until the crayons looked melted (about 30 minutes I think). After they cooled, we popped them out easily and got to coloring! These crayons are especially fun because with one swipe of the crayon, we could make many colors appear on the paper.

Needless to say, this method worked so much better than my last attempt!

No comments: