8.25.2010

Texas: Train Ride

One of the things I was looking most forward to was the train ride in Texas. My aunt had me sold on the idea the moment she mentioned it. It was a vintage railroad, open air train that takes a 1.5 hour ride from Grapevine to the Ft. Worth Stockyards. And the best part? It gets robbed in route!

But, as in turns out, riding on an "open air" train (read: no air conditioning) on a 105 degree day at 1:30 in the afternoon is not that great for the infant set. So, once again, Henry and I sat this one out. We tearfully said good-bye to the brave train riders and then my sister in law, aunt, and I raced---I mean sadly drove--over to Charming Charlie, a store that has an overwhelming amount of accessories organized by color. We spent the ENTIRE time the kids were on the train at this store and then were late meeting them at the Stockyards. Oops!

As you can see, the kids had a great time on the train--until the robbery. We had given Amelia plenty of preparation for the robbery, explaining that it wasn't real and was just like watching a play. She was a little startled, however, by the loud "guns" they had.

Here they are approaching on horseback.

Because Amelia was so startled, the robber gave her the spent casing from one of the "bullets". (Uh, thanks?). She thought it was a pretty neat souvenir!

I am still a little confused about how the story goes, but apparently the Sheriff came on the train and was handing out fake money after the robbers had left!?! Who knows? All I know is that the kids proudly displayed their cash when we met up with them at the end.


When Amelia got scared by the robbers, she immediately ran into GG's lap. I think this picture is funny because my nephew, Andrew, is really trying to figure out what the heck is going on!


Yep, fake money makes everything better!

And so does popcorn evidently!

I think everyone enjoyed the ride there, but only a few of them chose to return back on the train (a round-trip ticket is the only purchase option). Apparently it was pretty hot and rrreeeaaalllllyyyy long.






1 comment:

Teacher-Mom said...

How fun! Wish we had something like that in MO. We've done just a train ride, but a train ride/robbery would be very exciting.