12.03.2008

The Book Collector

So I have been slowly hoarding children's books now for the last 8 months or so.  It all started one day when I was visiting my local Goodwill, looking for nothing in particular, and I came across a gold mine of children's books.  The paperbacks were marked at a mere 30 cents, while the hardback books were only 50 cents.  I immediately loaded my arms with as many books as I could carry to the counter.  Two huge bags of books for under $5.00!  I was in heaven.

Then, I went back many, many times.

As if that wasn't bad enough, garage sale season came upon me in early spring.  I am not a huge garage saler, but I do like my deals so I ventured out to a few and it was enough to wet my appetite.  I was able to score 12 books for $4.00 at a house down the street.  I was nearly in tears because that was all of the money I had on me and my ATM card was with Jason! I honestly considered coming home and robbing Amelia's piggy bank.

Then, to top it off, the school where I work offers the Scholastic book orders.  There are amazing deals in these little treasures and as you can tell, I have a very hard time turning down cheap books.

Some of the books I've given to Amelia and the rest of them have just piled up in my closet.  Some are holiday books (I'm set for Valentine's Day!) and some are classics like Corduroy and Polar Express. There is fiction and non-fiction.  I have Arthur, Elmo, Clifford, Cinderella, Peter Pan, and 101 Dalmations among others.  There are new favorites like No David! and Harold's Purple Crayon and some I've never heard of, but thought looked like nice books.

Until 2 weeks ago, I was unsure what I was going to do with all of these books.  I assumed if I wrapped up 40 books for Amelia on Christmas she would get sick of opening them after the first 7 or 8.  I knew I could space them out among various holidays, but most of them I am eager to share with her NOW.  While talking to a co-worker a couple of weeks ago, she passed on one of her family traditions to me.

She told me how every year she would wrap 24 books up for her children and place them in a big basket.  Some of the books were winter or Christmas themed and some were regular books.  Some were the children's own books and some were new.  Starting on December 1, the children would take turns opening one book each night.  Then, they would climb on the couch with their mom and read it together.  A literary advent calendar, if you will.

This. was. perfect.

So, Sunday night, I spent a couple of hours scouring the house for all of Amelia's winter/Christmas books.  I went through my stash and pulled out the winter and Christmas books from there too.  I also pulled out enough "other" books to get enough to open one of each day in December leading up to Christmas.  Some were new and some were not.  I wrapped them all up and placed them under our mini tree.
I love this idea so much!  But, I must say that Amelia was not too impressed with it the first night.  She opened the book (which happened to be an old one of hers about snowmen) and didn't even want to read it!  The second night, however, she immediately came home from GG's house and asked about opening a book.  I told her she had to wait until Jason got home, so she picked out a package and laid it on the couch.  Then, from the kitchen, I heard the tiniest ripping noise.  I asked what she was doing and she replied, "just getting it started, mommy".  The second Jason walked through the door, she had the book out of the wrapping paper!  She was pumped about her new Elmo book. The last book she will open (wrapped a little fancier than the others) is The Night Before Christmas, which will be read on, well, the night before Christmas.

I am also looking in to donating some of my stash, too.  So, really, this is just more motivation to make my bi-weekly trips to Goodwill to scout of the latest selection.  You know, so I'll be ready for next year and everything ;)

5 comments:

DEREK said...

don't you feed that tree??

Jeff & Carrie Seeley said...

Jodi,
Scholastic is having their big warehouse sale I believe. You can get some good deals there too. If you go the website you can get the address and info.

Anonymous said...

I love this idea. LOVE. And I especially love that fact that the last selection is The Night Before Christmas. For me, reading that on Christmas Eve has always been a family tradition.

jodi said...

Thanks for mentioning that Carrie. I have a flyer for it from school in my car, but totally forgot about it until you said something. Just wish it wasn't so darn far. Have you gotten any good deals from the Scholastic warehouse sale?

Jeff & Carrie Seeley said...

Jodi,
I haven't been in a few years, I huge assortment of books. We did find a bunch of books when we did go. I agree it is too far away.