Neither Jason or I were interested in waiting in long lines to see the man in red, so when Jason got off work early last Friday, we decided to venture over to Bass Pro to check out their winter wonderland.
Now, granted, it wasn't exactly the blissful winter scene I would have picked for our Santa picture. There was a deer or two in the photo (at least it wasn't a deer head!) and just to the left of Santa was a hunting game with rifles for kids to play while the waited for their turn. But, I must say, the free 5x7 picture and a super kind Santa made the experience a good one!
Amelia watched as child after child in front of her freaked out and melted into a ball of tears as their turn with Santa grew nearer. Each time, she asked why "that boy" or "that girl" was crying. She seemed to be getting a little nervous when we were next in line, but then the "elf" gave her a candy cane and a Bass Pro tattoo and she couldn't have been happier!
When it was our turn, Amelia kept a brave face but politely declined Santa's invitation to sit on his lap. He talked to her a bit and guessed right on the money that she might like a baby doll. He listed all kinds of possibilities (Barbies, Polly Pockets, Cabbage Patch Kids) and then talked to her a bit about Dora, Boots, and Swiper (also right up her alley!). She was pretty taken aback that she could "help" Santa remember these characters names. Quickly, she was at ease with him and clearly told him her desires for Christmas. He told her she would like a new baby (doll, that is!), a baby stroller, and a Belle pillow. These are same 3 things she has consistently been asking for since Thanksgiving!
I was very proud of her bravery, particularly after watching so many kids meltdown before her. Unfortunately, I did not have the elves take a picture with our camera and I am too lazy to scan the one we got at my mom's house.
So, instead, I will leave you with the sole picture we took with our camera during the excursion.
I have a feeling that is what she is going to be asking for NEXT year!
Gotta love Bass Pro!
2 comments:
Ahhh nothing says Christmas like rifle games, kids on snowmobiles and Bass Pro tattoos (although it sounds like you found a pretty cool Santa).
I am jealous! We never made it to see Santa this year. Emily even covered her eyes when she saw him at the grocery store on Wednesday!
I think Amelia will be zooming next year! ;-)
Post a Comment