For whatever reason, I was feeling a bit ambitious today and decided to get up and put the pumpkin in the oven before Amelia got up. While she ate her breakfast, I scooped out the soft insides and answered the question, "What you doing mommy?" about 75 times. Then, she helped me puree the pumpkin and even requested a bite (which turned into three!).
Later, while she napped, I prepared the rest of the ingredients to make pumpkin soup. When Jason got home and saw the menu, he became inspired to use the rest of the leftover turkey from Thanksgiving to make some turkey salad and it was delicious! After dinner I roasted the seeds.
The soup turned out okay, but after we ate our helpings, I went back and put what was left in the blender. The carrots, celery, and onions were too chunky for me. I blended it all down to more of a soup consistency (Jason called it pumpkin stew--I know, appetizing right?), added the rest of the half and half that the recipe called for (I have a horrible habit of ignoring recipes. Some people can get away with it, while I cannot), and gave it another try. We both thought it tasted much better and I am already looking forward to some leftovers tomorrow!
In between the baking of the pumpkin and the making of the soup, Amelia and I ventured out in the nasty weather to pick up our Fair Shares goods for the week. Here's what we got:
- Blue Heron Orchard Apple Cider
- Yellow Wood Farm Lettuce Mix
- Lee Farms Butternut Squash
- Mangia Whole Wheat Rigatoni
- Pilgrims' Acres Chicken
- Yellow Wood Russet Potatoes
- Companion Baguette
- Lee/Hilty Roma Tomatoes
- Bellews Creek Black Beans
The only thing we've tried so far is the bread and it is my favorite of the breads we've received, although all of our bread products have been delicious! It will be perfect tomorrow with some of my pumpkin soup and maybe some of the cheese from last week. If I'm feeling crazy, I'll add a salad.
I was a little surprised by the chicken. Silly me expected a chicken breast of some sort, but what I wound up with was an entire chicken. I am easily intimidated, so I will be passing the job of coming up with something to do with it to Jason. He, of course, is not the least bit concerned.
This was not the best week for using our Fair Shares items, but so far, no harm done. I don't think we've officially wasted any food yet. That is, with the exception of a few pea shoots we threw out. Luckily, I made a burrito recipe last night that called for a jalapeno and the pumpkin soup recipe called for thyme. Some of the sweet potatoes were made into a Thanksgiving dish. Most of the things we haven't used yet have a long shelf life, like honey, PB, cheese. But, then there are those mushrooms that aren't getting any younger..... And, we are getting quite a collection of potatoes--sweet, russet, and otherwise.
Seriously, I am staying focused for the rest of the week. Expect to see progress next Wednesday. Well, except maybe for that darn Chervil....
No comments:
Post a Comment