So, despite my best attempts to stop it, Henry turned ONE! We were lucky enough to have a beautiful day in the 50's! I would have loved to have taken him to the zoo, but with Amelia still recovering from her multitude of illnesses, we thought it best to hang low. I tried to make it a special day for Henry with an extra long bath and a lengthy stroll around around the neighborhood with his sister--although this was more of a present for everyone!
Henry opened his presents post-AM naptime. He got a wooden airplane rocker from Jason and I that I fell in love with at a consignment sale this past fall. We also found a little Leapfrog Birthday Cake that sings the "Happy Birthday" song. The candles also light up and then after the song, you can actually blow them out. It was great fun for everyone! Amelia picked out a puppy Pillow Pet for Henry.
Amelia had been anxiously awaiting a chance to bring out the Easy Bake Oven so we agreed that she could make Henry's birthday cake. Cakes are serious business in the Ward household and she did a great job!
That evening, both sets of grandparents came over for a dinner of Jason's delicious chili, cake, and few more presents.
I think Henry's favorite part of the whole sing-Happy-Birthday, then-eat-cake experience was listening to everyone sing to him. He clapped after every single rendition of Happy Birthday--such a polite young man already!
Don't get me wrong, though, he enjoyed the cake too!
Jason's parents got Henry a stool with his name on it that matches one Amelia has. Boy were they excited to be sitting on their matching stools! Of course, it may have been the sugar high kicking in by then....
The day wouldn't be complete, of course, without a little drama thrown in. Shortly before Henry went to bed for the night, he tumbled down just about the whole flight of stairs. Yikes! I had been trying to avoid since those early days of crawling. Luckily he was completely fine and hardly even let out a whimper. It certainly hasn't slowed him down or made him any more wary of the stairs...welcome to toddlerhood, I guess!




No comments:
Post a Comment