With several inches of snow in the forecast, I knew Amelia and I were going to need a little extra something to get us through a day of being snowed in. We headed to the library and filled our bags with books, CD's, and a DVD. While Amelia was off picking out a book for Henry, I spotted the Dr. Suess book, Bartholomew and the Oobleck. I had never actually read the book before, but I knew of the gooey green substance, Oobleck, that fell from the sky in the story.
That night and the next day we read the story a few times and then I decided to tell Amelia that I knew how to make oobleck. She was ecstatic! (She's actually made it a couple times before, but obviously didn't remember).
She decided that the oobleck should be pink instead of green like the book. After all, pink matched her bow and dress. Who am I to argue with that logic?
Seriously, though, this stuff is so weird! You just add 1 cup of water to 2 cups of corn starch. And actually, we cut that in half because we were running low on corn starch and it was plenty.
While playing in our oobleck, Henry woke from his nap so I decided to stick his hands in too. He wasn't too thrilled with that choice. He eventually warmed up a bit, but was never as interested as his sister. Unfortunately I couldn't get a great picture of his disgusted face because I was trying to keep him from falling off of the stool he was standing on.
A copy of this book and a little container of corn starch (with directions to add water) would be a cute little gift!





No comments:
Post a Comment