3.28.2011

Built for a Queen

 Another craft we picked up at our pre-cycle break trip to Michael's was a wooden princess castle "puzzle".  I'm not quite sure how the little one talked me into this, but she was pretty passionate about it and I had an extra 40% off coupon to burn, so I caved.  She, of course, wanted to come home and get started immediately, but I was able to hold her off a couple of days claiming it was a Cycle Break Project and, thus, had to be completed on cycle break.


Unbeknownst to me, the kit was 66 steps!  (This was not something advertised on the packaging).  We got through about half of the construction on the first day while Henry napped.  It was a process, but Amelia was so patient (a trait she does NOT get from me) and so excited.  She was actually able to help a lot on the first day because it was mostly like building a puzzle.


The second day of building was a little more frustrating for me.  It involved installing roofs and balconies.  And since Amelia very efficiently popped out all of the pieces, I had a hard time finding what I needed (the individual pieces weren't marked).  But we made it through and I have never seen a little girl so happy over a $3 wooden puzzle!


The first thing she did, of course, was insist the roofs and balconies be removed so that her "Peter Pan people" will in the castle.  (She informed me that this is Peter Pan III and in Peter Pan III, there is a castle). And did I mention that she lost Peter Pan on a recent trip to the doctor?  Hence the green block.


Here's her castle, along with the pirate ship she made awhile back with GG.  She is getting quite the collection of items she has built.  One of these days, I will remember a camera when she attends the Home Depot Kid's Clinic!



And so it was definitely worth every frustrating minute.  And actually, the final product is surprisingly sturdy and well constructed.  And it really is a perfect addition to Amelia's make-believe world.  And I love that she adds color to it as she sees fit.  Come to think of it, I may see if Michael's has any others we can put together....

No comments: