3.21.2011

Thaumatrope, anyone?

  I cannot remember what maze of website ogling brought me to this blog, but I instantly fell in love.  Most of this man’s ideas are super simple and many he even has ready made to print out. The first project I thought we would try was his thaumatrope. Do you remember these from your youth?  There are two separate pictures that are attached to a disk and when twirled quickly, they merge into one image?  Apparently it's due to "persistence of vision".

So, one night after dinner, I told Amelia we were going to do a little magic.  She had earned the privilege of staying up a little later than Henry (a rarity these days now that naps are absent in our house). 


I printed out the two pictures:  a bird and a branch and told Amelia that when we were done, the bird would be on the branch.  She got right to work cutting out the circles and then we attached them to a pencil.

Then, I showed her how, if you move the pencil very fast in your hands, the bird winds up on the branch.  She was SUPER impressed by this mystery and had many ideas as to why this happened.  Unfortunately, my camera couldn’t catch the two images together, but trust me, it was pretty neat!


I will have to search out some other examples of this phenomenon since it was such a hit in our house!

No comments: