9.17.2008

Feeling Ballsy

After the success of the Energy Balls last Friday morning, I decided to give some Toddler Meatballs a try in the afternoon.  These were a favorite of Amelia's long ago, but like most foods she likes that are actually nutritious, a gave them to her too much.  So much, that she started to reject them.  But, after a 9 month hiatus, she's back on the meatball bandwagon again!

In case you have a toddler that may be interested:

Toddler Meatballs:
1 lb. ground turkey or ground beef
1 cup bread crumbs
1/4 cup wheat germ
1 egg
1/3 cup finely grated carrots (I added these because I had some leftover from the energy balls, its not a part of the original recipe).
spices such as garlic, pepper, basil, thyme, and/or oregano

Mix meat with bread crumbs, wheat germ, egg, and spices you've chosen.  (Recipe may call for more/less bread crumbs.  Vary measurements as needed).  Roll into balls, bake at 375 F until golden brown or for about 25-30 minutes.  Do not allow these to burn.  Cover the pan with tin foil to help prevent burning if needed.  Use a small baking pan so you can shake and roll meatballs around to help meatballs to cook evenly.  I serve them with spaghetti sauce or ketchup.  These freeze well!




No comments: