
I haven't noticed much going on today to remember 9/11. I only ventured out briefly this morning to the grocery store, but I saw no flags up around my neighborhood. I didn't see anyone wearing red, white, and blue. And it hasn't been the top story today on CNN.com--my only connection to the outside world since I rarely watch TV for listen to the radio during the day.
It could be that my isolated self is just missing all of the 9/11 talk.
Either way, I was wondering what I could do with Amelia to remember the day. There isn't much you can do with a two year old to memorialize a tragedy she cannot even begin to understand. I decided we would put a small, American flag out by our mailbox. Then, I remembered the book I have (The Man Who Walked Between the Towers) about a man who tight rope walked between the World Trade Center towers back in 1974. The tale is true and an interesting one and the book has great illustrations. At the end of the story, it mentions that "now the towers are gone" and shows a picture of where the towers once stood. On the next page, a ghost of the two towers remains and the author says, "But in memory, as if imprinted on the sky the towers are still there. And part of that memory is the joyful morning, August 7, 1974, when Philippe Petit walked between them in the air". Needless to say, this book was part of our day today.
Its hard to believe its been 7 years already.
No comments:
Post a Comment