9.04.2008

Pizza--Mediterranean Style


I am not much of a cook, but I think I'm getting better.  Although I've done it a time or twenty, it hardly seems fair that I stay home all day long and then ask Jason, "What's for dinner?" when he comes in the door at 5:30.  Slowly, I am building an arsenal of recipes that I can pull off for weeknight dinners (thankfully, Jason is still the sole chef during the weekend).

Without further ado, here is a recent addition to my "collection":

Mediterranean Patio Pizza
Pampered Chef

Crust:
1 package refrigerated breadsticks (11 oz.)
olive oil
1 garlic clove, pressed

Cheese Spread:
1 can artichoke hearts in water, drained and divided (14 oz)
4 oz. cream cheese, softened
4 oz. feta cheese, crumbled, divided
1/2 tsp. dried oregano leaves

Toppers:
2 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1/3 cup pitted ripe olives, sliced
1/3 cup cucumber slices, quartered
1/4 small red onion, sliced into thin wedges
2 tbsp. pine nuts, toasted (optional)
1/4 cup red wine vinegar and oil salad dressing

Directions:
1.  Preheat oven to 375 F.  For crust, unroll bread stick dough; separate into strips.  In center of round cookie sheet, coil 1 strip of dough around itself in a spiral pattern.  Add second strip to end of first strip and pinch ends; continue coiling dough.  Repeat with remaining dough.  Roll dough to edge with rolling pin to within 1/2 inch of edge of sheet, pressing seams to seal.

2. Lightly coat dough with olive oil and press garlic clove over dough using garlic press, spread evenly.  Bake 14-16 minutes or until golden brown, cool completely.

3. For cheese spread, chop artichokes to make 1/4 cup.  Combine with cream cheese, half of the feta cheese, and oregano; mix well.  Spread mixture evenly over crust.

4.  For toppers, quarter remaining artichoke hearts.  Seed and chop plum tomatoes.  Slice olives and cucumber.  Slide red onion.

5.  Arrange vegetables over cream cheese mixture.  Sprinkle with remaining feta cheese and pine nuts, if desired.  Cut pizza into wedges and drizzle with salad dressing just before serving.

Tonight, I just served it with a simple cracker, fruit, cheese plate and it was perfect!

No comments: