Yes, I know I have already mentioned one advent activity and how many do you really need, right? But, I couldn't help posting about our other advent activity, as well. One that I have been doing for the past, gulp, 29 years.
My aunt Phyllis made this advent calendar for us when we were little and it's amazing how well it has held up. My brother, Derek, and I used to take turns putting a new ornament on the tree each year. It was always something I looked forward to as a child and I am lucky enough to be able to share it with Amelia now.
We are now 5 ornaments in (the picture was taken a few days ago) and it is the first thing Amelia wants to do when she comes downstairs each morning. The magic of the calendar is definitely still alive!
4 comments:
My aunt Carmen made us one of these too. It looks exactly like yours. Maybe it was a popular pattern to make those back then? I wonder what happened to ours/my mom's. It really is magical. My 3 brothers and I used to argue over whose turn it was to put up the ornaments. Ahh the memories...
lucky for you...derek married a jew, so there was no fighting over who got this family treasure!
That's funny Lauren, I'll have to find out the story behind that--I know there are a couple floating around my mom's side of the family that all look alike.
Amy, I almost wrote that exact line in the original blog. Something about, "since Derek is the favorite child, he most assuredly would have received the advent calendar, but lucky for me he married a Jew. and since they are raising their children Jewish, the calendar was all mine". But, then I figured I would leave it open and let you or derek point that out!
youre doing it wrong...the star goes in the 25th pocket and its already up...what gives?
Post a Comment