
So, I thought I'd be all clever tonight and come up some cutesy post about Boston, given that I am leaving bright and early on Thursday morning to head out that way. It is a city I've been to before, although quite briefly, several years ago when I worked for the State of Missouri. I was part of a rather adventurous group of state employees that thought it would be wise to take 10 male juvenile offenders on a 28 hour bus ride half way across the country. These juveniles were between 13 and 17 years old and they had committed fairly minor crimes, like drug possession, robbery, involuntary manslaughter, and assault. (Just the kind of group you would like to take on said trip). The original plan was to take the "kids" to Washington, DC, an area of the country that they had been enthusiastically studying for an upcoming competition against other area offenders. (A competition they won, by the way, thanks to their hard work and the dedication of their brilliant teacher, yours truly). But, the facilities manager (my boss) had the brilliant idea to add Boston, Cooperstown, and a drive through NYC to the trip as well. I mean, as he explained, we were already out there, so why not? Needless to say, it was an interesting adventure to say the least.
I somehow think this trip to Boston will be a little different. Things should be more relaxed, its only taking me 8 (yes, I have two freakin' layovers) instead of 28 hours to get there, and I shouldn't have to count to "10" incessantly to make sure all of the juveniles are alive and accounted for. We don't have too much of a plan. We booked a hotel on the waterfront for two nights and have vague ideas of places we would like to explore. Freedom trail, Fenway Park, and of course, everyone's favorite bar from the 80's--Cheers.
So, hear is where I was planning on inserting some great quote or fact about Beantown, but much to my delight I started finding things like this:
(Fred Allen, comedian)
hmmmm........and this:
"When I go abroad, I always sail from Boston because it is such a pleasant place to get away from" (Oliver Herford, writer)
um, is he dissin' Boston? (And did I just write "dissin'"? And is that how you spell it because spell check did not care for it?)
Well, regardless of what Mr. Allen and Mr. Herford say about Boston, I am pumped to be going and apparently I will be pumped to return as well. I mean what's not to love about the city that raised Benjamin Franklin, Samuel Adams, President Kennedy, and Steve Carrell.....and birthed bands like Aerosmith, Guster, The Cars, NKOTB, and Boston (oh, the irony)....and allowed shows like Cheers, St. Elsewhere, and Real World: Boston be filmed among its streets? On that note, I think it may be time to call it a night.
The blogs might be slow-going for a bit as I am not cool enough or organized enough to have a bunch of pre-dated blog entries scheduled to be published while I'm exploring Beantown. But, Amelia wanted me to tell everyone to be sure to look for a special Father's Day post on Sunday. Apparently she has something up her sleeve, gosh she is growing up fast!
No comments:
Post a Comment