I feel the need to divide our trip up into days so I don't forget anything and so I don't bore my readers going on and on about the trip. (I am still likely to do that, but because I am dividing it up in "days" its okay).
After getting about 4 hours of sleep the previous evening, my day on Thursday started bright and early. I arrived at the airport around 6 AM for my 7:30 flight. My first flight was supposed to go from STL to Memphis and then I was to take a flight from Memphis to Atlanta. My last flight would take me into Manchester, NH, where Jason was finishing up at the conference he attended all week. Luckily, when I arrived at the ticket counter, the agent decided that 2 layovers to get to Manchester didn't make much sense, so she rebooked me on a flight from STL to Detroit and then Detroit to Manchester.
Unfortunately, by the time I went through security, I still had 2.5 hours to wait for my new flight! This was not too much of a problem, however, since I was armed with 5 books to read in my carry-on bag. I was very eager to finish the book, "The Glass Castle" and did so before even boarding my first plane!
As planned, Jason met me at the airport where we drove back to the dorms (that's right, I said DORMS and did I mention they were not air conditioned?) where he had been staying for the conference. The dorms were on the tiny campus of Colby-Sawyer College in New London, New Hampshire. The area is quite popular in the winter for skiing, so it made for a nice drive.
That night we had a lovely dinner overlooking some of the mountains before Jason headed out to the last round of talks. I hung out in our dorm room and read. By then, I was halfway through my next book, "We are All Welcome Here". I was so tired that Jason woke me from a dead sleep when he returned to the room about 9:30 PM (8:30 St. Louis time).
I will say that I am not cut out for dorm life any longer. We had communal bathrooms where I certainly needed to wear my "shower shoes". The shower was all awkward and there was not nearly enough room to put all of my things. And check out our room, especially the mint green trim everywhere! Fortunately it had cooled down by the time I arrived, but Jason spent 4 days in 90 degree weather on the third floor on a non-air conditioned dorm room...sheesh.
No comments:
Post a Comment