6.17.2008

Boston: Day 2


After awaking fairly early due to the paper thin walls at the dorm (I seriously think the people below us were moving furniture at about 5 AM), Jason and I packed up, stopped for breakfast, and then made the drive to Boston, MA.  We arrived at our hotel, the Westin Boston Waterfront, around 10:30 and despite our early arrival, they immediately checked us in.  They also gave us some advice about street parking which ultimately saved us $120 by not having to pay valet parking fees at the hotel!  Our room was a stark contrast to the dorm room we slept in the previous night. First and foremost, there was no mint green trim.  We had a flat screen TV in our room and a shower with two shower heads!  (we still aren't sure why there would be two..wink, wink). We had a nice view of downtown and the Boston Harbor and a Starbucks in the lobby.
We decided our first stop should be Fenway Park.  We arrived just in time to grab a hot dog from a street vendor before the next tour started.  It was my second tour of the park and I was just as impressed as the first time.  It is neat to see what kind of history comes from the oldest baseball park in America.  And even know the park is so old, they are still trying to improve it in many ways, by adding more seats and making it more modern.

After Fenway, we headed to the oldest university in America.  We thought it was about time to get started on touring some colleges for Amelia and since we were already in Boston, we made a trip by Harvard's campus.  I was not too terribly impressed with what I saw, but Jason was in awe.  I swear I could sense the tension and snootiness from the moment we stepped on campus (to this claim, Jason just rolled his eyes).  
The area near the campus, Harvard Square,
was neat and had lots of cute stores and restaurants.  We grabbed a snack before heading back to the hotel for some rest time.

We headed out to the 'Little Italy' section of Boston for dinner.  We went to this intimate restaurant right on the main drag called, Dolce Vita.  Jason ordered his typical Chicken Parmesan, but I went all out and got the Lobster Risotto, which was excellent! Afterwards, we walked the busy streets and headed over to the Haymarket Square/Quincy Market/Faneuil  area.  We spotted 'Cheers' and felt we needed to stop for a drink.  When we first arrived, we went straight for Norm and Cliff's spots at the bar before deciding to sit outside to people watch.  We didn't stay long, though, given the beers were nearly $8 each! 

No comments: