7.21.2010

Growing Green

Several people have asked if we are doing a garden again this year and the answer is yes. Unfortunately, however, I've been too busy to document every step (I'm sure this is good news for those you you that remember ALL the garden posts last year). I did manage to snap a few pictures when we were harvesting some veggies the other night.

The sunflower we planted is already twice the size of Amelia! (That is, until the storm blew it down the other night).

Check out the turnip Amelia pulled up! Jason made an awesome carmelized turnip casserole that was so yummy. Too bad it took me 30 years to realize that I actually like turnips!

Henry was having a hard time figuring out what the heck we were doing. Actually, he was just trying to figure out if there was going to be something in it for him.

Note to self: plant the same cherry tomatoes next year. OMG (and I really NEVER use that abbreviation unless I'm making fun of someone) they are so good. They are the orange variety and poor Jason has only had 3 this year because I just can't help eating them while I pick them off.

Our bounty for the day: turnip, green beans, snap peas, and some cherry tomatoes.

We're also growing zucchini, carrots, onions, radishes, and cucumbers (which are by far our most successful crop to date. They are currently coming out of our ears). Green beans are our other overly abundant crop and they seem to currently be drowning out the other veggies.

And did I mention that a rabbit decided to build a nest in our garden? For awhile there was a mom rabbit and two adorable babies hopping around our yard--that is until Truman got a hold of one. Never a dull moment around here.

4 comments:

Amy @ FitMommas said...

I wanted one so bad this year. But my slacker husband didn't till me up a spot in the backyard, and I'm totally blaming him.

You are such inspiration in the garden department! I want some orange cherry tomatoes, too!!

Anonymous said...

I picked up some orange cherry tomatoes at the Farmer's Market Saturday. Oh my! They are delish! Your garden is awesome! I wish we had the room and I had the ambition to actually keep up with one.

Sarah said...

Looks awesome!

The Weber family! said...

Ok, I am going to be sending you a long e-mail about gardening since we have had some problems this year and you look like you know what you are doing. All I can say is our cucumbers have attacked most of our plants, the rabbits have eaten all our corn and carrots while on vacation, and my pumpkins have taken over my back yard......I think I need a lot of advice from you!!!!