7.01.2010

Joseph Had A Little Overcoat

Well, our summer reading is off to a quick start. Seems like once the warm weather hits, I cannot be without a good book to read. Seems as though Amelia is following suit. We've been hitting the library up every week and recently re-checked out an old favorite--Joseph Had a Little Overcoat.

We've borrowed this book at least twice before. Amelia likes the story (and the song we also have) and I like the pictures. There is one page in particular that I've always been quite fond of and every time we came to that page, I would say, "We should make a building like that sometime". The page shows a drawing of several buildings with windows and in each window is a real picture of a person. I like the contrast between the drawing and the real pictures. I am also sure there is a term for this type of art, but I am too naive to know it.

So, apparently, I had said that enough on that particular page that when we checked the book out this time, Amelia started saying, "We should make a building like that sometime" each time we would get to this particular page.

So, we did! Yet, another project that was perfect for her new easel! I cut out some quick rectangles from construction paper and added some magic marker windows. Then, I gave Amelia some old magazines and her scissors and watched her go to town filling her buildings with faces. I even found some old pictures of her, Henry, and other family members that made it into the windows as well.
Not the best picture, I realize. But, the project kept her busy for HOURS on MULTIPLE DAYS. I will definitely be storing this one away to do again!!

1 comment:

Erin @ Lansdowne Life said...

The very fancy term for this type of art is ... collage!