11.21.2008

Fair Shares: Week Two

We are into week two of our Fair Shares membership and have been very, very happy with everything so far.  There is definitely an addition in week 2's bag that makes me a little nervous, but before I get into that, I want to talk about the week one food and the progress we made getting through it. (I'm sorry if this bores you to tears, this is the best way to track what we've finished and what we still need to consume).

To recap, week one included the following:
  • Herbs en Route Chervil (haven't touched it, not sure what to do with it.  Its waiting patiently in the fridge for us to figure it out).
  • Blue Heron Orchard Apple Mix (I was a little skeptical as organic apples aren't very attractive and they are rather small, BUT these tasted excellent, were the perfect size, and we've consumed them all)
  • Biver Farm Lettuce Mix (finished this tonight, love this BEAUTIFUL lettuce! Yay!)
  • Rutherford Farm Pea shoots (I like these too, they've worked well in the salads we've been eating.  We are about halfway through the bag--there was a lot! These would be great for sandwiches, but we haven't had any sandwiches this week) 
  • River Hills Poultry Alliance Eggs (I was naive and thought these brown eggs might taste different than the white variety we are used to.  Nope, couldn't tell a difference.  We are exactly half way through the dozen).
  • Heartland Legacy Cheese (Yummy!  This was the first thing gone--it took about 3 days.  Amelia was a big help with this).
  • Local Harvest Black Bean Dip (Um, in all my excitement last week, I seem to have missed picking this up--oops!) 
  • American Grassfed Ground Beef (Haven't tried it yet, not thrilled that it is 80/20, but I'm sure we'll use it at some point).
  • Lee Acorn Squash (made this tonight!  I liked it!  Amelia didn't want to try it and Jason wasn't sure of the texture.  Good thing it was only a small serving.  I ended up following the advice of a commenter and cut it in half, put it cut side down in a little water, covered with foil and baked at 350 F until soft.  Added a little butter and brown sugar--turned out great, or at least I thought so!).
  • Lee Farm Sweet Potatoes (made one early in the week, mashed with carrots and raisins--was delicious!  Amelia ate a huge bowl of it and then ate the leftovers two days later.  I still have another sweet potato left to use).
  • Biver Farm Pie Pumpkins (hoping to tackle this over the weekend.  Will most likely become a pie or pumpkin soup. I am cautiously optimistic about cooking it.  We will be roasting the seeds too).
  • Companion Miller's 5 grain (Yummy!  Great with the cheese and the second thing to go).
  • San Luis Tortilla Chips (ate these all week and finished them last night when we made nachos/tacos.  Really good and a lot!).
  • Chef Mel's Salsa (Unusual taste and is actually a little sweet.  Its pretty spicy, but the more I have it, the more I like it.  Was especially good on the taco I had last night.  We are about halfway through the jar--we've been eating it a lot with the chips).
I feel pretty good about week one, we are definitely eating better already.  Amelia has tried most of the things we've tried and liked almost everything.  Let's hope we can keep this up!

Here's week two's stash:
  • Yellow Wood Farm Lettuce Mix 
  • Ozark Forest Mushrooms 
  • Biver Farm Japanese Turnips 
  • Mangia Tomato Vermicelli 
  • American Grassfed Beef--Stew Meat 
  • NW Coffee 
  • Schwarz Farm Kennebec Potatoes 
  • Black Bear Bakery Rosemary Olive Bread 
I am pretty happy with our selection here as well.  We started eating the lettuce mix tonight and also enjoyed some of the Rosemary Olive Bread--both were good.  Since we don't drink coffee (at home anyway), we swapped it for two good sized chunks of cheese.  I was a little nervous at how the swapping process would go down, but it couldn't be easier.  I have no clue what I will be doing with the turnips, but they sure are pretty!  The mushrooms are an interesting assortment, not sure what to do with those either since Jason can be a little squeamish with them, but I am sure we will find something!  Also, other than a quick trip to get an item or two, I haven't had to go grocery shopping!  That's the best news of all!

1 comment:

The Weber family! said...

It looks like your doing great with the fair shares. Let me know how you like it and if you get to use it all.