11.04.2008

"Wine" About the Other Guy


Finally. Election Day.

I have been looking forward to this day for, I don't know, the last 8 years or so.  But, I have a busy night of election returns to watch and just wanted to (quickly) share some pictures from our election party on Saturday.

In an effort to keep it light, we thought we would combine politics with wine-tasting hoping to keep the passionate political conversations in check. Similar to the 2004 version of this party, we titled it a "Wine About the Other Guy" party.

Given the already hectic schedule of the weekend, I didn't get a chance to do all of the politically-themed activities I had envisioned, but I did have time to come up with a few.

John McCain greeted people at the door.


Sarah Palin welcomes guests at the kitchen window.


When everyone arrived, they received a ballot and upon filling it in and returning it to the official ballot box, they received an "I Voted" sticker.  The votes were counted after everyone had a chance to participate and Barack Obama won by a landslide.  (Interestingly enough, Hillary and "John" Obama also received a tally mark).


Both candidates platforms were posted for friends and family to do some last minute cramming prior to Tuesday.
Fun facts were posted around the house about both Obama and McCain (like because Barack Obama worked at Baskin Robbins as a teen, he no longer likes ice cream and while in law school at Harvard he applied to be in a black pin-up calendar and was immediately refused).

We also played "Pin the Glasses on Sarah Palin" in which many party goers were taunted by my (somewhat intoxicated) self to play.  (Sorry about that everyone!).

There was tons of great food and drinks, some of which were election themed.  One friend even made Obama's "change" logo out of a circle pan of brownies and mini red and blue m&m's.  I failed to snag many pictures once people started to arrive, but I did get one of the super cute cookies that another friend brought (picture is at the top of this entry).  There was also star-shaped cookies, chocolate dipped pretzels with patriotic sprinkles, and even apple pie!  In addition to the great food, many people decided to support their candidate by wearing shirts and pins (including Amelia and I).  

I am sure I would get some slack if I didn't mention the fact that my own two-year old daughter outlasted me at the party.  Apparently no dinner + a few glasses of wine = a whole lot of trouble by 10:30 pm (and all the way through 5:30 the next evening).

Let's just say it was a fun party, or so I've been told....  

No comments: