11.06.2008

Sound Safari


Within minutes of getting home from work on Tuesday, Amelia had earned herself a timeout.  It had been a long day for me and she decided not to nap while visiting her great-grandparents that day.  We desperately needed a new activity to try quick!  I thought this idea sounded fun and since the forecast looked like Tuesday was going to be one of the last nice days, we decided to get out and give it a try.

I copied the chart from THIS BLOG almost exactly changing out a few sounds that I thought were unlikely for us to encounter on our walk with ones I was almost sure we'd hear. Much like she did, I also started out the walk by closing the garage door, which worked like a charm to get Amelia interested in the game.

She loved being able to mark off the sounds she heard by putting a star sticker in the box next to it.  Surprisingly, we heard nearly every sound on the chart (although some of the stickers fell off during our walk).  I think next time I will add lawn mower since 3 different neighbors were also taking advantage of the nice weather by cutting the grass.

We took a fairly long walk (I wanted to waste enough time so that Daddy would be home to help me corral this crabby toddler) and Amelia became disinterested after about 15 minutes.  This was probably because she heard nearly all of the sounds so quickly at the beginning of our walk.  Just as we were arriving back home, she heard another dog bark and wanted to add a second star to the "dog" box.  

I posted the chart on the refrigerator when we got home and she has already asked to play that "game" again.  I think it would be really fun to do a "Sight Safari" too, sort of like an outside "I Spy"!

No comments: