As Adam Sandler once said, "Thanksgiving is a special night".
And I would have to agree, although around here its been a "special month". I don't believe I have ever reflected on the meaning of Thanksgiving as much as I have this year. This is mostly due to the fact that I have a two year old who kind of, sort of "gets it". But, its also because I have so much to be thankful for, it seems that things just keep getting better with each passing year.
We've read many books this month about the Thanksgiving holiday and its traditions. Amelia, Jason, and I have had some interesting discussions about things we are thankful for during the last couple of weeks. One day (without being prompted, I swear!) when I asked Amelia what she was thankful for, she said, "You Mommy! I am thankful for you!". Another time when asked the same question, she said, "Me thankful for John McCain". Regardless of the answers she gave, I was wrote them down and added them to our thankful turkey. I am so proud that she even mentioned some of her friends by name (seriously, no prompting here people!).
These were the things Amelia mentioned as we talked about thankfulness each day:
Natalie (after seeing her at story time)
Books
Grandparents
Nate and Grace (after an awesome playdate at their house)
Andrew (after hearing a song he sang and sent to GG and Papa)
John McCain (still don't get this one??)
olives (after having them with dinner one night)
the Beast (self-explanatory)
Uncle Dave (after giving her a new set of Belle dishes)
Sean (the day after she played with him at Pump It Up)
mommy (yeah!)
Truman (our dog)
Daddy
Belle (no shocker here)
The other things from our turkey (Amelia, our health, library, and grandparents) were added by me. I would love to keep our thankful turkey up as a reminder to focus on our blessings all year, not just around Thanksgiving time.
And so ends the turkey posts, I suppose, for another year--now THAT is something to be thankful for!
Happy Thanksgiving!
No comments:
Post a Comment