
I don't want to go into too much detail, as I like to keep this blog light, but suffice it to say that Tuesday's election results made me feel extremely joyful and proud of our country. I will spare you a never-ending blog entry on this topic (that's what my journal is for), I have only a few observations to make on the topic and then I think I will return the blog to its non-partisan self--at least for the next 8 years or so.
1. This is the third election that I have been able to vote in and it was great to finally vote for the winning candidate!
2. Its a little scary having your candidate win because if you are unhappy with what he does, you have no one to blame but yourself (I do not think this will happen, however).
3. It was an incredible to vote in such a historic election. I have fantasies of telling my grandchildren down the road about it.
4. I thought McCain's concession speech was well thought out and it seemed genuine.
5. I also enjoyed Obama's acceptance speech, although it brought me great sadness when I learned the next day that he gave it behind bullet proof glass. I also learned that he called off a fireworks display his aides had planned and wanted to keep things simple instead of gloating about his victory.
6. I looked up Obama's polling place and my old polling place when we lived in Chicago to see if they were the same. They were not, but they were only 2 blocks apart. I wonder if his entourage drove by our old apartment on the way there.
7. I missed living in Chicago briefly when I saw the celebration at Grant Park. Although, the more I thought about it, I was pretty sure there is no way we would have drug Amelia down to the craziness that was his victory party.
8. Unlike myself, Amelia will get to vote when she is 18 because she will become of age shortly before the 2024 election. I missed the 1996 cut off by 2 months and wasn't able to vote until I was almost 22. I guess 2006 was a great year to have a child (given that the child was born before November).
9. The talk of moving to Canada/Europe/Antarctica that I did when Bush was elected (and re-elected) probably sounded just as ridiculous as it does today.
10. To borrow a quote from an incredible man who made a great speech on Tuesday, "If there is anyone out there who still doubts that America is a place where all things are possible; who still wonders if the dream of our founders is alive in our time; who still questions the power of our democracy, tonight is your answer".
No comments:
Post a Comment